Oil City: another Hofner rewind

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
In the spirit of allowing you guys to see the life of a busy pickup winder/repairer, and to let you see inside some interesting old pickups, here's a dead Hofner 'diamond top' pickup that came in from our friend Lewis at Torbay Guitar Repairs Ltd

Aside from being filthy, this old war horse was as dead as a Dodo. As most who have seen my various Hofner pickup restoration threads, internal corrosion caused by acid flux in the solder used for assembly usually is a major factor in their demise.
This pickup holds a surprise, as inside the normal humbucker shell, it is in fact a single coil ... simply half of a hofner humbucker!
Nope ... they didn't forget to put a coil in ... that's the way they made em.
Not bad in the power stakes however, ad there is a pretty substantial ceramic magnet powering the little beast.
Off with its wire to reveal the offending start wire 'pigtail' that has come adrift from the coil and killed the pickup. It will get replaced ...
And onto the winding machine she goes. 
New hookup wire added as the old stuff was at the end of its life ...
And ...
Ready to rock! 
A tip from the Oil City workshop: I use Turtle Wax 'Safe Cut' scratch remover as a very gentle nickel plate cleaner ... takes off the gunk and doesn't risk scratching ... smells like crap though! 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Nicely done!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Interesting stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom