Identifying a hrd

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
I'm looking to buy one of these and confused by the listing. 

I want to buy the version 3 because of the better volume taper. 

My understanding was that the latest version is called products 246 and that the badge just says deluxe on it. 

I've seen listings that say products 246 or hrd iii but the photos show the fender deluxe badge.  

Is there anyway to  tell for certain if it's a v3 from the photo a d what does the 246 bit mean? 

Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The easiest way to tell is that the III has a black control panel and the previous versions were chrome.

Don't instantly dismiss the IIs, I have one and it doesn't have any nasty surprises anywhere. If you haven't already it could be worth trying both. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Thanks Richard, the only thing that put's me off the ii is the know issue with volume taper. I will be using this at home quite a bit so want something that I can control. 

I tried a 3 in a shop recently and while it's not the ideal home amp it was definitely useable. 

How do you find the ii in that respect?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    I've never found it an issue with the II either - you just have to get used to moving the volume controls very carefully, which is easier than with many amps since they're chickenhead knobs. If that fails and you really need to play at such low volume that it's too erratic or it doesn't sound great, just get a simple volume box for the FX loop.

I actually think the II sounds better than the III as well - I think I've only played one III so far but it seemed a bit 'flat' somehow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm lucky in that I don't have to be too mindful of volume at home. It is still very nice relatively quiet though. I usually have mine at around 4-5 on the clean volume and it is OK. I genuinely haven't found any issues with the clean volume taper. The drive and more drive are a little more 'twitchy', but just because there is a lot of gain and drive available if you are feeling brave. Certainly not 'on' or 'off' though.

I had a Blues Deluxe previously and that was easier to control, although without the extra More Drive channel it had to be very loud indeed to break up nicely.

I had one of the Omnisonic volume boxes for the loop and it worked well, but I didn't really need it.

The only thing that possibly lets them down is the speaker. The stock Eminence in the II is a bit harsh, especially when pushed.  I changed mine out for a Jensen C12N for less than £60 and it made it much warmer sounding.
    Richardj said:
    I genuinely haven't found any issues with the clean volume taper. The drive and more drive are a little more 'twitchy', but just because there is a lot of gain and drive available if you are feeling brave. Certainly not 'on' or 'off' though.
    It's only the Master that is the ridiculous linear-taper pot in these. The clean channel volume is a Log anyway.

I honestly think a lot of the complaints come from people who just haven't learned to turn a knob by settings smaller than a 'whole number' yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The 'Drive' and 'More Drive' are underrated or misunderstood on these amps I think. To me they aren't just a dirtier version of the clean channel, they behave like you are pushing the front end and are naturally louder.  You cannot get away from the fact it is a properly powerful amp.

It is, IMHO, at it's best as a loud if needed pedal platform.  The clean channel is pretty much all you need.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I never had a problem using an earlier HRD at home either.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Makes sense I guess. I used to use a Twin at home so should be find :)

Just got to fine one at the right price and local now. Why is it when you're looking for something the nearest one always seems to be 300 miles away?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    ICBM;1131661" said:
    Richardj said:

I genuinely haven't found any issues with the clean volume taper. The drive and more drive are a little more 'twitchy', but just because there is a lot of gain and drive available if you are feeling brave. Certainly not 'on' or 'off' though.

It's only the Master that is the ridiculous linear-taper pot in these. The clean channel volume is a Log anyway.

I honestly think a lot of the complaints come from people who just haven't learned to turn a knob by settings smaller than a 'whole number' yet.
    @icbm Is it much of a job to swap the linear taper pot for an audio taper?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:

@icbm Is it much of a job to swap the linear taper pot for an audio taper?
    Not that much, but you need to get the whole PCB out - not quite as hard as it looks, there's a trick to it once you know how, although not easy if you don't - and use the exact correct pot, no other type fits the board properly.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424

I've never tried it but putting a loading resistor across the centre wiper to the earthed lug of the pot can sometimes improve the range sensitivity, in a kind of log cheat ..........  other than that running a simple passive volume control between the pre amp out power amp in sockets is a simple cheap solution.  

www.2020studios.co.uk