DRRI build quality?

chromatunachromatuna Frets: 372
I am considering trading up from my Blues Junior to something with a bit more depth and headroom and am intrigued by the DRRI 65s and 68s. How is the build quality on these? Pots, valve bases, cabinet etc? Any particular failings? Since I bought the BJr I have become a tiny bit more knowledgeable and would like to know that i am getting a little more for my money than nasty plastic pots, sockets and MDF. I also know what I want sound wise - a tasty sounding clean amp. To be honest the BJr has never let me down and sounds pretty good, its got a CRex in it now and I have reduced the NFB just a little but I still have that hankering for a little more amp. Would you say they (DRRIs) are worth the premium over the Hot Rod range with regards to sound and build. Grateful for any advice 
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    They're excellent. The are PCB, but pretty decent quality - not the very best, but more than adequate given that the valve sockets are chassis-mounted which removes the main source of heat problems. Pots and jacks are proper panel-mount types. If there is a weak point it's that the flying leads to the PCB can sometimes snap if you're working on the amp and have to take the board out, but this is so rare anyway that it's barely an issue.

Are they worth the premium over the Blues Junior - definitely. The BJ is a fairly averagely-made, overpriced amp in my opinion. Compared to the HRD it's a closer call - the HRD is significantly better-built and better-sounding than the BJ in my opinion, and much better value for money… and still cheaper than the DRRI.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 372
    Thanks @ICBM ;

I know the HRDs etc (may try a Blues Deluxe) are far better than the BJr, its a question really of going for one of that range or one of the DRRIs. I am guessing that the DRRIs will have the edge sonically, I like the idea that the 68 has a Bassman channel but need to do some trying out and then maybe some scouting used. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    edited June 2016
    I am guessing that the DRRIs will have the edge sonically, I like the idea that the 68 has a Bassman channel but need to do some trying out and then maybe some scouting used. 
    It depends what you want. The DRRI and the '68 are different from the Blues/Hotrod Deluxe rather than better, and have different features - tremolo instead of channel switching and overdrive.

The 'Bassman' channel on the '68 is a bit of a con - it's nothing like a Tweed Bassman, and only vaguely like a BF/SF one. What they really mean is that they just adjusted the tone stack values slightly. It sounds good, but not because it's like a Bassman.

If you want a Bassman sound, the closest in the range by far is the Blues Deville 410.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hmmm well I am not actually much of a trem user and happy with a pedal for the few songs a night that I need it.I don't really need channel switching either though. If they made a great single channel 1x12 with reverb that would do me. The plus with the HRDs and Blues Deluxes is that you can find them all the time for not too much money of course. 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Have you considered a Pro Junior? I've never played one but they're held in high esteem on here.
    I haven't but I am after something a bit more than my BJr and with reverb too
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Pro Juniors are great little amps, nicer than the Blues Junior IMHO.  The drawback is a very simple circuit into a 10" speaker in a small cab.  They sound lovely, really touch sensitive, but in a larger room run out of headroom quickly and can sound a little boxy if pushed.

In terms of build quality there isn't anything to choose between a US DRRi and a Mex. HRDX, I've had both and couldn't see where the extra for the 'Made in the USA' was worth it.
    Thanks all, I need to go and do some trying but it's good to know if there are any nasty surprises under the hood