Marc Bolan

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
is there any of the acoustic pre Trex stuff better than the rest...is there one than stands out?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 'Beard of stars' is probably the best i reckon, but all the pre T.rex stuff has great tunes.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    deborah. one inch rock. summertime blues.

i'm sure i could name more, but i honestly have listened to the music in over twenty years. but i DID think it was fucking-awesome-man. honest
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    While he got farther away from acoustic guitar with each album there are some gems mixed in with the electric boogie he gravitated to.  Songs like "Life is Strange" from Slider come to mind, but starwarsnosebleed  pretty much nailed it.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    edited July 2016
    Don't overlook the first TRex album when he was very much still in the hippie/Tolkein phase, but with lots of electric guitar mixed in too. Lots of great stuff on that record!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    There was an double album of recordings he did at the BBC that came out about 30 years ago (I know coz I bought it) that has loads of really good acoustic stuff  and early electric stuff. Well worth checking out. I forget teh name.
    Also the 'My People Were Fair and Wore Stars In Their Hair...' album is very good, if a bit drippy!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6112
    edited July 2016
    hootsmon said:
    is there any of the acoustic pre Trex stuff better than the rest...is there one than stands out?
    The one that I used to play most was a compilation on the Flyback label but everything on that is more available than it was back in the day. It's actually labelled as T.Rex but almost all the content is Tyrannosaurus Rex.

They're all good, though for off the wall brilliance My People Were Fair probably wins. Unicorn and Beard of Stars are both excellent but my favourite is Prophets, Seers and Sages. The first T.Rex album is also fabulous.