EFT - are we losing control of our finances?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
In some ways EFT is a 'good thing'.  Regular payments, such as wages and pensions, are paid automatically into your specified Bank A/C. Debits and S/O operate in the same way.  Saves going to the Bank with lodgements etc.

But what happens if you do not want a payment lodged to a particular A/C?  This happened to me recently.  Due a small tax refund from Revenue, I deliberately left the Bank details blank, expecting to receive a cheque in the post.  When sufficient time had elapsed and no cheque had arrived, I phoned Revenue to see what was the reason for the delay.  I was told that the payment would be in my A/C 'one of these days'.  I was told that my Bank A/C details were 'on file' and that the payment would be made electronically to that A/C.

So the payment gets swallowed up in day to day living expenses instead of giving me the option to blow it on something special :).

But thinking about it, we have handed significant control over to the Banks.  Those same Banks Bastards that almost bankrupted our country in 2007/8.  The idea is sold as a benefit to customers.  Now I am not so sure.  What do you guys think about this?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I don't think I understand the question.

But if some cash got transferred into an account I didn't want it to be in - I would then transfer it into the right account with the click of button. Job done.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Yeah @Iamnobody, but if the A/C is 'in the red', the Bank simply swallows up the cash. I am quite happy to run Bank A/Cs overdrawn as I can decide when to balance the books.

I just don't like technology or Banks making that decision for me.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    If you're overdrawn but within your limit, then you can still transfer out or lift the cash so not sure I understand the issue.

If you're overdrawn and over your limit, then that's hardly the bank's fault...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    The fact the money was paid into your account by HMRC suggests your beef is with them - it's not a bank issue.

Still not sure what the problem is though - it's not as though you haven't had them money - just that you've squandered it on food and your mortgage, rather than a treat....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    There's really no functional difference between a cheque and an electronic transfer - both require a bank at each end in order to do the job.

The only difference in the end result is that - usually - electronic transfer is quicker.
    <space for hire>
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited July 2016
    I don't think 'we' are losing control our our finances, it sounds like you don't have enough

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    There's certainly a drive to get rid of cheques, and I'm sure all governments would love an end to cash transactions if such was possible, to try and end the black economy.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I was a latecomer to using my phone for banking as I was worried about security. But I have to say it is bloody brilliant. Bill arrives, pick up phone, pay bill, job done. None of the old "put it in the pile til I can be arsed to do something about it."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Does anyone remember when we all got paid in cash?  It was a rare thing to have a bank account, other than a savings account.

Certainly in the late 60's and early 70's, I can remember standing in line in the office, waiting for my name to be called, and then to be given a small brown envelope with all the details hand-written ...
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    What the F*** is EFT? 

I don't know what all these TLAs are!!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited July 2016
    EFT - Electronic Fund Transfer

If only you were sitting in front of a device capable of quickly searching the worlds knowledge ;)

I understand your concerns @Rocker (although your issue in this case is with HMRC remembering details and you not being clear enough with them).

I'm certainly less aware of my comings and goings than my grandparents were, because it is nearly all automatic and electronic, but then I also spend a lot less time doing it, it used to take a half-day a month to sort the bills out.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    it used to take a half-day a month to sort the bills out.

Plus spending another half day trailing around the town going to the Gas Board office to pay the gas bill, the Electricity Board office to pay the electricity bill, and so on...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Nitefly said:
    it used to take a half-day a month to sort the bills out.

Plus spending another half day trailing around the town going to the Gas Board office to pay the gas bill, the Electricity Board office to pay the electricity bill, and so on...
    I remember the days of the Electricity Board shutting at lunchtime. Oh, for the good old days.
    Thanks Chrispy :)
    Pet peeve on here and in general when folk assume you know these acronyms
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    My main issues with EFT are: I could give the cheque to my niece if I had the option of being paid by cheque and I do not trust any Bank. Not anymore, not after the mess they made of our country. I was forced to retire from work due to their greed and incompetence. And the Government hand them my money without my permission...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    What the F*** is EFT? 

What's a TLA ( :-) )?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    Rocker said:
    My main issues with EFT are: I could give the cheque to my niece if I had the option of being paid by cheque and I do not trust any Bank. Not anymore, not after the mess they made of our country. I was forced to retire from work due to their greed and incompetence. And the Government hand them my money without my permission...
    How, if the cheque is made out to you (which it would be)? Besides, they already had your permission from before; probably best that you read the terms and conditions. In any case, they probably thought they were doing the right thing in getting the money to you ASAP (which is what the bulk of people want).

And she'd still have to pay it into a bank. You would've been better off just giving HMRC her bank details...
    <space for hire>
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    smigeon said:
    What the F*** is EFT? 

What's a TLA ( :-) )?
    terrible little anachronism  :-)
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I doubt HMRC are an issue here, or rather "there" given that @Rocker's in Ireland.

But the principles are most likely the same.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Three letter acronym :p