Brexit negociations

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Interesting developments .. Merkel wants Junker sacked - he's blamed for Brexit in some quarters and is gloating with Hollande. Germany, Poland and other eastern European countries are forming an alliance against France .. Merkel favours an associate membership package for the UK. There may be trouble ahead ..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/angela-merkel-to-oust-jean-claude-juncker-as-europe-splits-deepe/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The sooner we get out the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The strains inside the EU will only get worse now that the black sheep has voted to leave!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I hope it triggers major changes within the EU. And I hope they can make it worthwhile being a member. I am not anti-Europe, just anti-EU.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I said this a while ago - there is a power struggle between Juncker and Merkel going on over the causes of, and how to respond to, the UK Leave vote.

I'm not anti-EU at all but I hope that arrogant prick Juncker gets to take a long walk off a short pier. In my opinion he is at least partly responsible - he's always been clearly anti-UK and unable to hide his disdain.

Reducing the power of the Commission in favour of the national leaders and/or the European Parliament would also be a very good thing in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    The twat needs to resign. Right now. And no doubt collect a big, fuck-off pension.

• skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited July 2016
    Juncker is also engaged in a battle over who gets the final word on the long-delayed Canadian trade deal. Predictably, the pint-sized, bibulous Luxembourgeois wants to deny the individual nations any say. The nations (particularly) the Eastern Bloc are up in arms. 

Meantimes, the most recent accession nations (Bulgaria and Romania) are suddenly threatening to veto the whole deal if the Canucks don't allow Free Movement. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

None of which bodes well for TTIP, the prestigious US / EU treaty which has been negotiated behind closed doors and in conditions of total secrecy by ... Juncker's Commission. 

To paraphrase Sir Edward Grey at the outbreak of the Great War: 'The chickens are coming home all over Europe. We shall see them roost in our lifetime'.

Meantimes, the most recent accession nations (Bulgaria and Romania) are suddenly threatening to veto the whole deal if the Canucks don't allow Free Movement. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
    You have got to be joking. Why on earth would Canada agree to that??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    quarky said:

You have got to be joking. Why on earth would Canada agree to that??
    Ah, not free movement, visa free. So they have no right of abode, but effectively visa free holidays. So for the US, Brit's get a visa waver (or did last time I was there!), and they are asking the same thing for Canada.
    edited July 2016
    quarky said:
    Ah, not free movement, visa free. So they have no right of abode, but effectively visa free holidays. So for the US, Brit's get a visa waver (or did last time I was there!), and they are asking the same thing for Canada.

Ah! I see. My mistake.

It transpires that - as part of trade negotiations - the land of the Maple Leaf has offered visa-free travel to all EU citizens except those of Bulgaria and Romania. 

How very odd. Were it not that the Canadians are accounted the least racist people in the world one might imagine that they had something against the EU's newest members. 

I'd be jolly annoyed if I were a Bulgarian.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If anyone here has managed to turn off the tv, and turn off the radio, and focus on anything but Brexit - possibly playing a Musical Instrument - you have my admiration and respect.
    I have serious information overload but do not know how to withdraw.

I would go on holiday but everything just got expensive.......

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Skipped said:
    If anyone here has managed to turn off the tv, and turn off the radio, and focus on anything but Brexit - possibly playing a Musical Instrument - you have my admiration and respect.

Egypt's cheap .. ;-)

I have tried to avoid the news quite a bit, especially for the first couple of days after the vote. It was just all so depressing. Even so, I tend not to both with the news sites and go straight to the sports section.

I did hear again on the radio that the Italian banks are in big trouble and the Italians are threatening to ignore the rules, and risking the wrath of Merkel.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Skipped said:

I have gigs coming up..
    I have been practicing the set daily, working on technique daily and of course teaching my lil' flock of fledgling shredders..
    music comes first..
    this Brexit shite though has been quite a distraction
    play every note as if it were your first
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    quarky said:

Ah! I see. My mistake.

It transpires that - as part of trade negotiations - the land of the Maple Leaf has offered visa-free travel to all EU citizens except those of Bulgaria and Romania. 

How very odd. Were it not that the Canadians are accounted the least racist people in the world one might imagine that they had something against the EU's newest members. 

I'd be jolly annoyed if I were a Bulgarian.

The real issue here (that no politician dares say unless he fancies a ten week long twitter storm) Is that Ethnic Romanians and Bulgarians are not the people anyone who has such worries are worried about. Canada is not about to vocalise it, but they are not about to allow free access for Romany Gypsies, and politician correctness dictates that every Romanian and Bulgarian must be discriminated against equally. 

Romanians and Bulgarians (who I know a lot of having just rebuilt a house in Spain) find this situation somewhat unamusing. Candaians are not racist, because they are very careful about who they let into their country. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Skipped;1137792" said:

I took a lunch break and played guitar. Nice little oasis.
    I posted that yesterday in the main thread .. looks like an EU split.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Fretwired said:
    I posted that yesterday in the main thread .. looks like an EU split.
    Ah, ok.

Yes, it looks like the skids could be under the alky Commandant Juncher. I though the choice of language interesting, that Merkel is gong to get rid of him. Smacks of German control.

@chillidoggy .. you do realise that this thread is about the link you posted .... it's at the top of the page .. :-)

edited July 2016
    What are you like, Mrs May?

The frankly evil Tory leadership favourite has indicated that the status of EU citizens living in the UK might form part of Brexit negotiations. Mind you, there won't be a problem - she purrs - if the EU gamely agree to continue to host all those British pensioners currently resident on the Costa Del Sol and elsewhere upon the continent.

Not that anyone might now consider all those chirpy Polish shop managers and wealthy French bankers to be - er - hostages. Oh no, not a bit of it.

I like the cut of Mrs May's jib. She will be the breath of fresh air we have been awaiting - as long as she does not backslide. 

The silent majority watches.