Backup software

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
Any recommendations? I've been using AOMEI and it's getting on my tits... I need to fiddle around with something else.

I just want something to make a system image backup and file backups. I'm running Windows.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've used GFI backup for years .. I have their freeware product which  is ace.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

I use Acronis. If you have a WD hard drive then it is a free download from their website and seems to work well.

You can upgrade it for more bells and whistles if you wish but the basic backup & system image ability is all I. need (I think)

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Acronis is very good.  Clonezilla also works well.  Windows 10 (if you're using it) has a built-in imaging option, though.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    TBH backup.software is a nightmare. You need to decide how you want your backups to be accessible. A lot of software creates and image, IMO, not good. Some create proprietary compressed archives.

I use Genie. It stores backup data in folders that can be read by the OS. It isn't perfect as it sort of needs the parent full backup on the same.media that the subsequent intermediate backups go to, but there is a workaround.

Backup regimes.need a bit of thought. As I'm backing up business data I have full cloud backup to Carbonite, local backup to Ext HDD with rotated drives stored offsite, and NAS with RAID as protection against hardware failure.

You have to make a judgement as to how important your data is.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    What's best for backing up Hyper-V or VM Ware servers? Genuinely after something that'll do the basics well for not too much dough.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    Well if you were a corporate customer I'd say EMCs Avamar with Data Domain, but you'll require a couple of hundred grand a large large garage and 3 phase power ;0)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well if you were a corporate customer I'd say EMCs Avamar with Data Domain, but you'll require a couple of hundred grand a large large garage and 3 phase power ;0)
    Sounds like good advice - a worthwhile investment to make sure one's family photos and household accounts data don't go missing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom