Aston Martin and Adrian Newey - petrol heads only

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Aston Martin combines with Red Bull Racing and its chief designer Adrian Newey on what Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner described as "the ultimate of all road cars."

This is faster than a Grand Prix car ... wow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/aston-martin-and-red-bull-to-build-the-worlds-fastest-car-am-rb0/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Jesus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27107
    This will be awesome, but if it uses a lot of ground effect they'll get wrapped around trees as soon as people use them on british b roads and all that lovely grip disappears over each bump...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    This will be awesome, but if it uses a lot of ground effect they'll get wrapped around trees as soon as people use them on british b roads and all that lovely grip disappears over each bump...
    Agree in the UK but other countries are different (thinking Middle East here) .. I think it will end up being at home on a race track.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Another one I'll never be able to afford. In any case, The only ground effect round my way will be to wear the bottom of the car out.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    Surely it should have wings?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Define "faster". There are a few cars faster than F1 cars I thought. I was under the impression it's the acceleration, braking and grip that makes F1 cars the pinnacle not top speed. I'm no expert mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    I reckon my diesel golf would be faster round Grimsby town centre,with its potholes,speed bumps and pesky things known as 'pedestrians' than a formula one car.

Therefore can I describe it as 'faster than a formula one car'?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    And I'm supposed to put the 4x12 where exactly? Never mind the children..
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    jd0272;1139647" said:
    And I'm supposed to put the 4x12 where exactly? Never mind the children..
    If you can afford one of those, you can afford a roadie with his own ford transit. The children can go in there too.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27107
    Fretwired said:
    Agree in the UK but other countries are different (thinking Middle East here) .. I think it will end up being at home on a race track.
    True, though the drivers who can afford them in those countries will likely just wrap them around lampposts due to lack of skill, or use them for their summer jaunts to Knightsbridge to get parking tickets outside Harrods.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Thanks for sharing, Aston Martin have always been at the top of my dream car list. And are certainly imo the coolest car manufacturer.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    I like the "ordinary" AMs best.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Also it doesn't say anything about being faster than an f1 car, it says it's performance will match an LMP1.

Lmp1 is not an f1 car. It has closed (covered) wheels, wheras f1 cars have open wheels among many other differences (they are the most visually obvious.)

In a 2 min lap generally an F1 car is about 4-8 seconds faster. Which over a 44-78 lap race will make a big difference.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Super looking thing but the sad part is that there is nowhere that it can be given it's oats
    Even the average F1 circuit doesn't let you exploit it because the idea isn't about brute speed - compared to an F1 this is more of a grand Touring .......todays F1 car is a Go-kart on Steroids or a fighter jet on wheels according to how you look at it .
    The only place to really play with this needs very long straights etc ..Nurburgring or Le Mans perhaps
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    RaymondLin;1139655" said:
    [quote="jd0272;1139647"]And I'm supposed to put the 4x12 where exactly? Never mind the children..
    If you can afford one of those, you can afford a roadie with his own ford transit. The children can go in there too.[/quote]

I know, but then I've gotta worry about parking, reversing angles (would be a trailer not a Transit following), bit of a piss fart on really.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2016
    Mkjackary said:
    Also it doesn't say anything about being faster than an f1 car, it says it's performance will match an LMP1.

It's in the tiltle of the article ...

A small batch of 25 track-only versions that are said to have the performance of an LMP1 Le Mans racer will be built. The rest will be F1 performance levels.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22169
    ennspek said:
    Define "faster". There are a few cars faster than F1 cars I thought. I was under the impression it's the acceleration, braking and grip that makes F1 cars the pinnacle not top speed. I'm no expert mind.
    Yes. Top speed is not the sole measurement here. In the World Endurance, the privateer LMP1 cars can actually match the hybrid Audi, Toyota and Porsche cars for top speed but lack the hybrid technology these three big names have. You see that at work when they come out of corners: the privateers come out fast and the hybrid big boys come out way way faster. 

The McLaren P1 GTR is quicker in a straight line but on a track is no match for the 650C GT3. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom