Any Robin Trower fans?

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
I came across an old article about Robin Trower on the net and was interested enough to get For Earth Below which I really like. Can any Trower fans point me towards what's hot and what's not? Any tips would be appreciated.
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083

Bridge of Sighs for starters!

The first few albums, up to Long Misty Days, are all great, Hendrixy, psychedelic blues-rock (the Live! album is awesome).  Caravan to Midnight and In City Dreams were recorded in the USA and have a more R&B kind of feel. 

Victims of the Fury is a great back-to-basics rockier album, then he did a couple with Jack Bruce which are patchy but still have some great tracks.

Then there was a bit of a wilderness period in which he did a couple of fairly weak soft-rock albums (Passion and In the Line of Fire).

Since the mid-90s he's been drifting increasingly towards fairly low key blues material, and even started handling the lead vocals himself.  It's good, and the playing is still wonderful, but personally I miss the fire of the '70s albums. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I forgot to mention the late, great Jimmy Dewar, who made a huge contribution as vocalist, (usually) bassist and co-writer on the first nine Trower band albums.  It's never been quite the same without him.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    edited July 2016
    Dewar had a beautiful voice -

In This Place

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    edited July 2016
    Easily the best tone I've heard in person. I'm a big fan of "Daydream".

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Philly_Q said:
    I forgot to mention the late, great Jimmy Dewar, who made a huge contribution as vocalist, (usually) bassist and co-writer on the first nine Trower band albums.  It's never been quite the same without him.

Absolutely, a quite wonderful voice. His performance on Alethea is great, and he does a great Toby Ziegler impression as well.

@scrumhalf I had no idea who Toby Ziegler was, but I see what you mean!

Speaking of Trower vocalists, Davey Pattison, Trower's second most-used singer, sounds a bit like Dewar.  Or at least, their Glasgow accents come through to their singing voices in a similar way!

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
    Thanks guys. :)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited July 2016

Robin Trower Live: The ultimate recording that wasn't planned. Brilliant.

Very very facially expressive player. I've seen him live around 10 times all in the 70s, the most memorable was at Reading festival in 1975.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/RobinTrower/Hans_I.html

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I really wanted to like him as I'm particularly into expressive strat players, but I just haven't got into his stuff (so far)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited July 2016
    I once met his brother (he worked at Tim Gentle Music in Leigh-on-Sea). Is this worth a 'Wow'?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @richardhomer  Yes, I think it is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
    Philly_Q said:

@scrumhalf I had no idea who Toby Ziegler was, but I see what you mean!

Speaking of Trower vocalists, Davey Pattison, Trower's second most-used singer, sounds a bit like Dewar.  Or at least, their Glasgow accents come through to their singing voices in a similar way!

I wouldn't have guessed Glasgow in a million years! Great singer.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    I'm a fan. Philly_Q has covered most of it already and I agree the early albums Bridge of Sighs and Live are definitely his best material. He's still touring and playing really well, but I'm not that convinced by his latest bass player's vocals tbh.... Jimmy Dewar was a hard act to follow, mind.