A design in progress - Sporkaster 6

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28241
    Hertz32 said:
    Same styling then, I wasn't that clear. sorry! :) 
    I'm not sure I'm the best person for that sort of job. It takes me months to build anything!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the look of that. I'd rather it have slightly more aggressive cutaways, though.

Sounds like ash needs to get his throbbing violators on the job (it's been a while since I said that...)

And the pickup surrounds... Hmm, I don't know anything about building pickups (sorry, ash!) but would it be possible to make, say, a wooden surround/magnet holder bit from a nice posh dark wood (ebony) to contrast against the green/purple/other aggressive but still posh colour? Or, if it had a quilted maple cap that was wudtoned or stained, then perhaps matching maple pickups. After all, they're normally plastic... Could it not be made of wood, and drilled for the magnets? I've never taken a pickup apart, but is it not (it looks like to me) a load of wire wrapped around magnets being held in a plastic... Er... Thing.

If I'm spouting nonsense, just slap me :)

Of course this is assuming it's a one off guitar, and not something that will be produced in any quantity...

The other option is to use a regular humbucker, but keeping it covered. It'd suit a burnt nickel effect one, and that would hide the 6 pole pieces underneath. It would also mean the 5 strings would be spaced further apart, which may or may not be a good thing...

It's an interesting concept and would be wonderful for low funk grooves as well as heavy rhythm. And interesting chord voicing will be easy to get!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28241
    I've done wooden covers for pickupos before, and IIRC, P90s have maple bobbins so it's not a silly idea. But I do like lipsticks. They look and sound equally excellent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10449
    tFB Trader
    Lipsticks have that low turn, low tech clang ... a big part is the 'straight around the magnet' wind. I will getting em to sound right is not the problem in this case ... more getting the look :) I'm on the case ... though stupidly busy at the moment.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message