Giving the Timeline/Big Sky combo another chance...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Update: tried Blackhole on my H9 again.

It's just...so good. This is really frustrating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    Update: tried Blackhole on my H9 again.

It's just...so good. This is really frustrating.
    Keep the H9, I have all 3, Timeline, BigSky, with the H9 used for various effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited July 2016
    @stefken Even more testing done, including the EQ Comp and Sculpt.

I'm 99% sure the H9, BS and TL are all staying, for the reasons you've just given.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7329
    Ideally I'd have the 3 big strymon pedals and the h9 max for harmonising, but ive got an axe fx 2 that can already do all that so it just makes me think I should get an fx8 which would actually be cheaper.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    DefaultM said:
    Ideally I'd have the 3 big strymon pedals and the h9 max for harmonising, but ive got an axe fx 2 that can already do all that so it just makes me think I should get an fx8 which would actually be cheaper.
    You have seen the light mate :)
    I've just really enjoyed putting together a pedalboard with separate pedals. Mounting the power supply underneath and tying together all the cables was far more satisfying than I expected haha. I just like looking at it all, and you don't really get that with a multi fx, though it's easier to use i find.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    a multi is easier to use?
    I just tried using the helix again today. I just felt tired faffing about with all the parameters and the constant preset surfing. 

I much prefer the quick tweak and go from stomp boxes. 

I will conceded that I wish my pedal board was as heavy as the helix. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I find a multi easier to use once it's set up I should have said. It's a pain to tweak live, but in 4 years of using the axe fx live I can't think of a single time I've had to tweak the fx. Definitely have needed to tweak the amp models, but I can't remember ever touching the fx.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited July 2016
    @stefken Oh, man, it's a thing of beauty, it really is. Just have to re-board it.

https://imgur.com/a/yspKw
    BintyTwanger77;1145409" said:
    @stefken Oh, man, it's a thing of beauty, it really is. Just have to re-board it.

https://imgur.com/a/yspKw
    Good stuff, glad it worked out for ya.
  • @stefken147 Have you dug into Sculpt yet? Very pleasantly surprised. Making use of the EQ Comp as well.
    @stefken147 Have you dug into Sculpt yet? Very pleasantly surprised. Making use of the EQ Comp as well.
    Not yet, I have plenty of drives on my board that I love so not sure if I'd find it that useful? Tried the EQ and Comp before and seemed fine but would need to set up the H9 with pre / post routing to make any use of those to go before my dirt. It;s on my todo list as I know the pitch effects sound better that way too.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    @stefken147 Have you dug into Sculpt yet? Very pleasantly surprised. Making use of the EQ Comp as well.
    Not yet, I have plenty of drives on my board that I love so not sure if I'd find it that useful? Tried the EQ and Comp before and seemed fine but would need to set up the H9 with pre / post routing to make any use of those to go before my dirt. It;s on my todo list as I know the pitch effects sound better that way too.
    Have you tried the pre/post thing yet? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • @stefken147 Have you dug into Sculpt yet? Very pleasantly surprised. Making use of the EQ Comp as well.

Haven't tried it, seems a bit complicated. Contemplating a Midi Mouse, though.
  • WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited July 2016
    Nick is a mate. He played on my upcoming record. He used a Kemper. 

I should probably add that he wasn't a huge fan of the El Cap last time we spoke. In fact, I think he'd picked up another Quadraverb, which has the quintessential early Verve clean sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nick McCabe is a mate. He played on my upcoming record. He used a Kemper. 

I should probably add that he wasn't a huge fan of the El Cap last time we spoke. In fact, I think he'd picked up another Quadraverb, which has the quintessential early Verve clean sound. 

He's pretty much my guitar hero... I'm guessing I'd need rack effects to sound like him.
  • He used the Kemper fx for the session. Had a transducer on the headstock as a feedback generator, though. He's a lovely fella. He actually sold a lot of his gear off last year IIRC. 

In terms of Strymon, he'd only tried the El Cap when we spoke, but sold it on as it wasn't for him. 

I would definitely recommend a Quad for that Beautiful Mind vibe. It'll get you 95% there and they're dirt cheap. 
    Not yet, will hopefully get trying it soon.
    Not yet, will hopefully get trying it soon.