on a scale of 1-10 how much do you enjoy your job?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
10 being best.

I'm gonna go for 9.5. 

I'm really luck in that I work with people I like being with and enjoy the work (computer graphics mostly). I also get paid a very good wage so I have been most fortunate in my working life. I don't even mind that I often throw in extra unpaid hours. I'm positively raring to get to work on a Monday morning!

Might not last forever with the govt putting the screws on, but I'm just fully appreciating it whilst it lasts. I've had rubbish jobs in the past but this has been a 26 year winner so far.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Yeah I'd have to echo that. For the first time in my career I work with people I admire and learn from every day. They are amazing to work for and with and I'm on a decent salary (for a reasonably young guy with no qualifications)

If I'm ill or have family problems (I have a young son with learning difficulties and a genetic condition so meetings can be common) they NEVER bat an eyelid.

So yeah I'd go 9.5 only coz I don't think you can ever 10 anything! The holidays could be better I suppose and I could be paid more but that would be greedy. I've been in shit jobs (awful jobs!) that I hated turning up to and I never want to go back to that! You can't put a price on enjoying your job
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28949
    I think I'd go 8.5 - it's often a 9 or a 9.5, but there are quiet periods, and I find quiet periods boring and worrying, even though the management knows there are quiet periods doesn't mind that they're quiet.

I'm home based but go out to see customers, I work for an ethical company and there's decent variety.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited July 2016
    About 9 at present.

Im lucky - I work as a field engineer (so nobody looking over my shoulder) and for a Japanese Company.  Its a small UK presence, so only 8 of us Engineers countrywide (including Scotland and Wales - not NI).  The ethos is, as long as contract customers get preventative maintenance twice a year and all breakdowns are attended within contracted times, all non contract breakdowns and installations are attended within 5 working days - then their happy.

Due to the area covered ( from Malvern in the south west, to Stoke in the North West inc all of Birmingham, to Peterborough in the SE up to Grimsby in the NE inc all of Lincolnshire) I spend a lot of time driving - so I probably average about 2 hours actual work per day (Im still in the military ethos that driving isnt work).  Plenty of time in the car to listen to current affairs (R5L, R4, Talk radio), sport (Talk Sport) and my Music.

One day per week im at one key customer for 3-5 hours where Im not expected to do anything but look after them, but there based in Nottingham which is where I live - so Its actually almost always a half day as its only 20 min travel time each way (the last engineer looking after my area lived 2 hours away on a good day).

There is no clock watching, no checking up where you are or what you are doing.  I run my own spares stock, my own diary and liaise directly with my customer base and my sales counterpart for leads.

This means I may often have no work during a couple of days, where I can do online training, stoick checks, car cleaning etc - If I need to be at home with kids or for a delivery its 99% possible to do so (the only exception being a next day breakdown- of which Ive had 3 in 15 months).  

All in all, very easy to manage, and happy work/life balance.  Its not that high a wage, but £28k plus car isnt bad either.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27489
    edited July 2016
    It veers between about 4 and 8.5 depending on what (and how much) I'm doing each day, cross-referenced with the last time I had a week without late nights and/or weekend working. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm going to go 6.5 - 7. I think that's a fair score though to be honest, it's probably what the majority would say. The job's really not for me, but I guess I'm trapped by financial needs. It's not making me ill, I get to relax, hardly ever feel the need to work extra hours, I earn a fair wedge. When I think about it, I've been part of teams which have achieved great things, although to be honest I still see mobile phones as largely useless and building the networks for them even more so. Doh.

I want something different for my daughter though. My wife and I think she'll be the type who simply won't survive in a 9-5 job, will need to focus on something for herself, more the type of person who will need to just BE their job and will create some sort of niche market, small company type affair.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496

My job now involves 2 things I love, music and electronics. Gigging never feels like work and although it's sometimes frustrating to spend hours working through a board only to come across 2 many problems to complete a repair, on the whole the electronics repair game is interesting and rewarding. 

So I'm giving mine a 10. It's true what say say, do something you love and your never work a day in your life
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    About 6 for me.

It didn't take much though to volunteer this morning to be the one to stay off work with the vomiting child. I won.

The job's OK but the people are not always. Too many people here are often arrogant and don't care about doing the job properly. I'm not being ocd, there's a fine line in my industry between something working or not. They don't like it when I point out they are the reason their process failed. 
    No chance of changing anything until the kids are through school which is ten years away. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251

Mine currently varies between 2 and 5.

Last night was definitely in the 2 region. Wasted hours on a job somebody else had made an arse of doing, yet nothing will get done.

I'm seriously considering a change as I'm fed up dealing with "experts"  who really don't have a clue.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8071
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited July 2016
    Mine varies dramatically (as I'm sure many do). 

Normally it's an 8. The job is interesting, stimulating, the people I work with are world leaders in their field and I get a lot of autonomy to follow my own research interests and the hours can be very flexible when I need them to be…

However, I've had one day off since the middle of April and NO complete weekends off since February. Having two small (but rapidly growing) children I resent being stuck in the lab when I could/should be with them. It could just be that I feel personally responsible for the projects and so take the lions share of the work.
    Also, big projects involve LOTS of repetitive work which is utterly mind numbing and leads to RSI eventually. 

I'm currently on a 4, but when I get a day or two off & some data to payoff all the work I'll be happier. 

The current uncertainty about our funding sources isn't helping the atmosphere here either.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

In general it's about 7. I get on OK with colleagues and it's usually stress-light but varied and occasionally challenging. At the moment it's 9 because it's super-duper quiet. I usually only get a couple of quick requests a day that I can deal with easily. I know many people would hate that and I thought that I might but, in practice, I find loads of things to do to fill time and look forward to getting into the office. The downside, of course, is that it makes my position less secure but I'm financially in a position where that doesn't matter too much to me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10362
    I work in a cold store which is obviously very cold (-26c).

And noisy.

And under staffed.

Did I mention how fucking cold it is.

My back and arms are knackered from the incessant physicality of the job,my hands are knackered from being frozen one minute,to warm,then back to frozen.

The hours are long and un-sociable,the management is poor with my supervisor being am expert at divide but sadly lacking in the rule department,so while one man can be grafting his bollocks off he's quite happy to watch another propping up a fork truck updating his Fucktwat account.

And the wages are extremely average,one upside being that I work so many fucking hours that I still earn a reasonable wage.

So that's a 10 from me.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4209
    Can we have a minus scale ? If so, minus 10' if not a 1, hateful hateful job, but it pays the bills
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2016

It's a temporary part-time shop job... that I've been stuck in for three and a half years.

I like some of the people I work with and I like having staff discount, but the management is pretty terrible and I do exactly the same soul-destroying shit week in week out - right down to being on the same till, serving the same customers. It's tragic.

And I've been there for (relatively speaking) ages and seen everyone else my age coming and going. At 21, being in a job for nearly four years is a looong time. There's only one other person my age who's been there as long as I have, and I'm pretty sure she wants out too.

Still, I should be moving into London come September so I'll have to leave. I'm looking into transferring to another store, which I'm hoping will be the most convenient thing. And I think it's just my store that I hate, if I'm elsewhere I might enjoy it more.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24586
    I'll answer for Bucket; -10^8

Me, the job overall, I'd give a solid 6 as an average.  It's only that because of the bits inbetween the actual work - the driving, waiting for something to be delivered that's late etc.  The work itself gets a 3, the people I work for get zero and a triple facepalm every single day without fail.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    -7 I'm a rent boy and the bottom has completely dropped out of the market.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10362
    /\ A differing definition of Brexit,and possibly more painful.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8815
    Ten years ago I would have given it 10. Lots of travel and challenges. As long as I delivered the project, and kept people informed, I had free reign over how I did it. Slowly it slid into less travel and more administrative control. Eventually I got into an argument because I'd used my Senior Citizens card to buy a cheap train ticket, and someone complained that this was age discrimination, and I should have bought a full price ticket. By that point I'd have given the job a 5.

My current job is managing my retirement budget. Yesterday I was making a guitar and fixing Joe's pedal. Today I've had a liquid lunch in Berlin. Next week is more Guitars, Gardening, and Grandchildren. Definitely 10/10.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

About a 6.

I work in IT and have spent most of the past ten years learning different technologies, different techniques (Prince2, ITIL, etc.), and also working on no techy stuff (licensing), ultimately to be put in an architecture team who have very little say or influence. At the same time, I have watched people be stubborn, argumentative, negative, resistant to change, and actually get promoted. It does make me thing that if I had been less flexible, I could have been a team leader in a particular piece of tech, rather than having a wide range of knowledge, but no real decision making capacity.

So 5 out of the 6 for this job is the money and pension.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    6/7 out of 10. I'm working somewhere that's a compromise at the moment. Although I earn enough to live comfortably I could be earning a bit more for what I'm doing if I moved but where I am I get nearly 30 days holiday a year. Flexible working hours, boss has been great when I've needed any carers leave and overall it's reasonably stress free in comparison to the SME's and startups I worked in in my 20's. I have a young family so not bringing stress home with me and being able to spend time with the kids is more important. Not very exciting here though, it is a bit like groundhog day.