on a scale of 1-10 how much do you enjoy your job?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't have a job. I wish I was able to.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 9... I get to play on the web and social media most of the day (digital marketing), while listening to planet rock at my desk, it would only be a 10 if I could go to work in a onesie :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What's wrong with disclosing salaries? 

Surely if more people were open about stuff like that it would be harder for the few companies who do still discriminate against any one type of worker to get away with it - if all the black folk on the office were on half the salary of the white folks it would be pretty obvious... By hiding the information then you'll never know if you're being shafted. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Myranda said:

Surely if more people were open about stuff like that it would be harder for the few companies who do still discriminate against any one type of worker to get away with it - if all the black folk on the office were on half the salary of the white folks it would be pretty obvious... By hiding the information then you'll never know if you're being shafted. 
    It's a british thing to be guarded about salaries for some reason. I have no clue what any friend or relative earns.
    axisus said:
    Myranda said:

It's a british thing to be guarded about salaries for some reason. I have no clue what any friend or relative earns.
    Which I think is a bad thing. How do you know how much the company values you if you don't know the relative values of your co-worker? 

If you're doing twice as much work per hour and more hours and getting better results than someone being paid more than you, how will you address this unless you know about it? If you go to HR with numbers proving you're worth more to the company and would like a pay rise would surely  necessitate knowing the salary you would like to better. "I have figures showing I bring in 20% more money but am paid 20% less"  is far more constructive that "want more munny pwease" 
    Ah. I just realised why it's not talked about. Employers would have to pay you what you're worth... Much easier to create an atmosphere where talking about such things is frowned upon. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28673
    Myranda said:

Which I think is a bad thing. How do you know how much the company values you if you don't know the relative values of your co-worker? 
    The last place I worked was awful for this.

I pushed for a pay rise; took ages, got ugly, ended up with both the MD and my boss saying "Well, your salary is higher than mine now" as if I wasn't worth it. Of course my salary was higher than the MD's - he owned the company and should have been paying himself no more than the tax free allowance. Similarly it should have been higher than my boss's because I brought in more business than he did.

When one of my colleagues went through the same thing (equally painful), at the end they told him he still didn't earn as much as another colleague who did the same job (but not as well).

Either you don't tell people ever, or you do, always.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    It's actually in my contract not to disclose salary...
    Troy said:
    Which is like the employer admitting it does things unfairly 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Myranda said:
    Ah. I just realised why it's not talked about. Employers would have to pay you what you're worth... Much easier to create an atmosphere where talking about such things is frowned upon. 
    No, it's not that really. I think that it's the 'British' thing of not revealing your hand, not letting other people know that you earn less than them. It brings out the inferiority/superiority complexes.
    axisus said:
    Myranda said:
    No, it's not that really. I think that it's the 'British' thing of not revealing your hand, not letting other people know that you earn less than them. It brings out the inferiority/superiority complexes.
    But that has to have originated somewhere. British people will happily boast about lavish holidays or shiny cars expensive TVs... But not pay. We'll say we got a big pay rise and boast about that but not say how much. We're a pridefull boasty nation for lots of aspects of our lives... But not with pay. 

Someone had to be the first to declare it off topic. Then someone had to disseminate that prudishness. Who better than employers, the wealthy, and media owners? 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I am fortunate, I enjoy my job a lot. I get out of it what I put in and I know not many people are in the same position, but its a position that has come from, and comes with, a lot of graft. Wasn't always like that. a 10 from Len then.
    I didn't like most of my jobs... Working as a jeweller for two drugged up drunks for less than minimum wage (but free breakfast and lunch... And the offer of "a go" on the waitress they brought back from a restaurant...!) doing bespoke work as and when folks came into the shop and drinks when it was "5 o'clock somewhere"... That was a 10/10 job. 

For now though I just learned I could spend another 5 years at uni fully funded so I'm not too fussed about finding a good job for a while 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Troy said:
    That must make applying for a mortgage exceptionally difficult....
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Generally it's a 3, some days it's a 1, today was - 1.

Carpet fitting is breaking my body,  cartilage gone from right knee,  constant lumbar pain,  what feels like early onset arthritis in my right (knife)  hand is severely hampering my guitar playing. 
    working for a friend which has turned sour with constant arguing ( he has control issues and I have issues taking orders) 

to all you who have an 8+ rated job,  I hate you all! 

(not really,  loves ya really)