Zoom ultra fuzz - buffered or true bypass?

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
Genuine question - I'd like my volume pedal (fv500l) to go right after it but it works best with a buffered signal.

The manual doesn't clear it up really - mechanical bypass is the wording, but it doesn't say if it's buffered or not.

Does anyone know? It doesn't mind a buffer in front but it does work differently.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I could test but I've torn the rig right up so I do t want to set up a load of experiments...

Some reports online suggest it's buffered. But many more say true bypass.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17850
    tFB Trader
    Does it pass signal when it's switched off?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29012
    A quick multimeter test suggests it's not TB - input impedance is around 1.4M whether it's bypassed or not, output impedance varies between about 35k and 50k.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1461
    Can't speak for that pedal specifically, but the PD-01 definitely wasn't true bypass.
  • monquixote;1143398" said:
    It does not - but I have been informed that that doesn't always mean it's buffered, but maybe uses an alternative method to achieve true bypass.
    Sporky;1143402" said:
    A quick multimeter test suggests it's not TB - input impedance is around 1.4M whether it's bypassed or not, output impedance varies between about 35k and 50k.
    Aces, that's what I wanted to hear. Pedalboard building can resume.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17850
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;1143398" said:
    It does not - but I have been informed that that doesn't always mean it's buffered, but maybe uses an alternative method to achieve true bypass.
    Sporky;1143402" said:
    Aces, that's what I wanted to hear. Pedalboard building can resume.
    Yeah some stuff is relay bypass.
    You have been informed correctly. It could be true bypass via relays, and the non-energised state is "engage". Which is questionable from a design point of view, but not completely improbable.

Equally, if it does pass signal when off that could still be half-arsed bypass.
  • Sporky said:
    You have been informed correctly. It could be true bypass via relays, and the non-energised state is "engage". Which is questionable from a design point of view, but not completely improbable.

Equally, if it does pass signal when off that could still be half-arsed bypass.

I think it was you who told me many yonks ago on ye olde forumme musicradar. Nice to know for sure though. Just need a tuner and a delay/reverb and I'm set. Phew. This pedalboard stuff is kinda annoying, I wish I had a helix.
  • Well buffer me but as much as I love it it's just not as useful as the juansolo pedal. It goes back in the box of rejection.

Which means I have space for a wah. Hooray!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    I could be wrong but I thought it was buffered.

If you want to find out you can send it to me and I'll check it.

I should be able to let you know in about ten years.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;1143610" said:

:)
    Haha it's a great pedal. Surprisingly versatile.

It actually does a really good, very not-amp-like overdrive that's got a lot of dynamics I discovered today. I just don't really need that - I tried hard to get it to sound vaguely like a boss df-2 or ds-2 but they're basically the only sounds it won't do! To be fair, I already have two muffs, a distortion and a super hard on on the board. I should be able to do okay with that :)

I won't let it go I'm afraid. But if ever I change my mind you'll be the first I ask :)
    ICBM said:

Sounds sensible to me, I'll just need a £90 deposit and interest in the loan. Let's say 1000% APR representative, compounded.