Question: Favourite (or despised) musical clichés?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Barney said:
    Im starting to really dislike the modern fusion type of thing cos everybody is starting to sound the same and use that slide thingy on most notes that Greg Howe started doing in the 80s...
    Ah yes, lots of YouTube famous players playing fusion on Suhrs with a semi clean tone.  :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    Oooh who? :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Tom Quayle, Jack Gardiner etc.  Technically great players but boring music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Yeah ... now I've watched the video I can see what you mean - that things everywhere 
    viz said:
    Ah thank you, didn't know either of them. Yes I don't get much from very technique-based jammin' but I did find quite a few excellent and musical tracks from Jack Gardiner which I really enjoyed, so thank you!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited August 2016
    viz said:
    viz said:
    Oooh who?
    Ah thank you, didn't know either of them. Yes I don't get much from very technique-based jammin' but I did find quite a few excellent and musical tracks from Jack Gardiner which I really enjoyed, so thank you!
    Jack has some vids of him trying Friedman Amps ar NAMM 2015 and he is just noodling in them, but that's some of his most interesting playing, for me anyway.  

Its funny, over the past 15 years or so there has been an influx of players with incredible technique who are making really boring cliché ridden fusion type music.  A lot of the sound seems to come from Greg Howes album Introspection, especially Jump Start.  Most of these guys are using boutique gear , yet Greg got that sound by plugging a Tubescreamer directly into the console.   
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    octatonic said:
    Cookie monster vocals.
    What I don't understand about cookie monster vocals is that when Rosetta do it it sounds musical, but no-one else seems to have worked out how to do that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Pachabell's canon in D   ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    viz said:
    viz said:
    Oooh who?
    Jack has some vids of him trying Friedman Amps ar NAMM 2015 and he is just noodling in them, but that's some of his most interesting playing, for me anyway.  

Its funny, over the past 15 years or so there has been an influx of players with incredible technique who are making really boring cliché ridden fusion type music.  A lot of the sound seems to come from Greg Howes album Introspection, especially Jump Start.  Most of these guys are using boutique gear , yet Greg got that sound by plugging a Tubescreamer directly into the console.   
    Absolutely, and in fact Howe is a proper songwriter - ok he's technically brilliant, but his songs have direction and flow and purpose and tunes as well as just groove and accuracy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom