SD1 - Normally noisy or busted?

What's Hot
gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
I've just gotten a s/h SD1 to replace my TS9. Much prefer the sound to the TS9, but on full gain (how I like it), it adds a lot of noise to my rig. Probably even more so when it's on bypass, when playing, it adds a lot of hiss. Tried to run it off a battery instead to see if that helped, but the battery clip doesn't work :(

Is it normal for SD1s to be quite noisy? If so, the search will continue, but if not then I might look for another.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not especially...
    They can be noisy in bypass with gain full up though, it's got a bad buffer. There are fixes - if you really like it, maybe look into mods? Or try one out at a guitar shop to see if yours is faulty.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    At high gain settings in bypass mode the SD1 distortion can bleed through. I've never had that problem but then I never have the drive set past about 9 or 10 O'clock.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Yeah, I think that's the problem, as I like it maxed out. The person I bought it off didn't state that the battery clip wasn't working. It wasn't terribly expensive, but not lower than the going rate either. Should I contact the seller do you think?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    The bleed into the bypass is normal, although how bad it is varies from one example to another. It's caused by a small design flaw that Boss have never corrected for some reason, although all their other overdrive and distortion pedals I know of have it fixed. I'm not certain about the new 'Waza Craft' SD-1.

Hiss when the gain is up all the way is also normal I think, but again varies. I've owned three or four of them and noticed it with some and not others.

Oddly the notorious hiss from the GE-7 varies too, I have one just now which was noticeably less bad than they usually are even before I changed the chips, but even more oddly is not *that* much better even with it done...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    ICBM said:
    The bleed into the bypass is normal, although how bad it is varies from one example to another. It's caused by a small design flaw that Boss have never corrected for some reason, although all their other overdrive and distortion pedals I know of have it fixed. I'm not certain about the new 'Waza Craft' SD-1.

I have the Waza SD-1 and don't notice any noise when I have it off and the gain up full.   
  • stratosonicstratosonic Frets: 33
    edited July 2016
    I use my SD1 at about half gain with no issues. There are a few mods available for the SD1 to sort high gain noise - http://www.pedalarea.com/sd1.htm ;
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Yeah it's shagged mate, better buy my SD-1w from the classified......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Well, I would flog it (as the bleed seems to be a normal condition), but the battery clip's knackered. So I don't really want to sell it without mentioning that, but it kind of makes it of nearly no value.
  • Cut the old battery clip off and replace it, couple of quid from amazon or fleabay? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BATTERY-CONNECTOR-145MM-CABLE-BLACK/dp/B008IL9R7A ;