Am I right in thinking that this gives me wet/dry by just using pedals into a PA?

hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
I am putting together a pedalboard for venues/gigs where we will have limited space and amps aren't really an option. As it stands, I have some pedals going into a 2Notes CAB and it works pretty well.

However, I'm considering buying an AMT SS11a for a number of reasons.
a) It gives me a tube clean channel into which the pedals can go. This strikes me as quite a good idea and allows real tone shaping at the preamp stage
b) It gives me a crunch/lead channel which means I could remove my distortion pedal from the board
c) It gives me another DI out option to the mixer/PA

The 2Notes CAB gives me many options for sending a great sound to the PA, but I got thinking and wondered.....

If I put my FX processor between the SS11a and 2Notes, and sent a signal from both the SS11a and 2Notes to the mixer, then wouldn't that be wet/dry since the SS11a would only be gain and pre-gain effects, whilst the 2Notes would also have delay/trem/reverb in it too.

Is this right, am I missing anything and should it work?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    ....ah, could be shortest thread ever, with only one participant!! Looks like you choose if the output goes to a mixer or amp, which I guess affects the signal level. So there's no separate DI out socket. Not to worry, the S11a could still help me in many other ways
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    SS-11A in to a Pangaea would do exactly what you are after that's what I used. Direct out in to an amp FX return and the IR out to desk. The SS-11A is a fab sounding preamp

Hi @John_A

So would I use the Thru socket to go to the FX unit-2NotesCAB and the Out to take the IR signal direct to the mixing desk?

Obviously question, but if that's the case, am I right in assuming that the IR is only applied to the signal coming to the Out socket, and the normal preamp signal from the SS11a just comes out as normal from the Thru socket?

@hubobulous Exactly right. EDIT - sorry I use you are using a 2Notes CAB, the Pangaea would make that pretty much redundant wouldn't it? I think I'm missing something here

@John_A - at the moment, I just have my pedals going into the 2Notes CAB - it works well, but I like the idea of having a tube preamp pedal in the chain. So the SS11a has caught my eye.

I then went on a flight of fantasy given that the SS11a has a DI out and started to consider a Wet/Dry setup. Essentially sending the amp sound to the mixing desk on its own, and then also sending the amp sound + delay/reverb to another channel on the mixing desk. Not sure why, or even if its worth it, but this is just to explain where my question came from.

I quickly realised that the Out on the SS11a is either a DI or a normal signal path style socket. I can't have both coming out of the SS11a.

So, by using a Pangaea, I think I could do this, but am not sure, (not sure if its worth it, but we may as well see this through!!).

Up to the SS11a in my pedal chain, all is good. But its at this point that I effectively need to split the signal, with the dry amp sound from the SS11a going to the mixer, but also having its signal also continue on into an H9 before going into the 2Notes CAB which then sends this wet signal to another channel on the mixer.

As I say, not sure if its worth it, but this is now about my understanding of how things work rather than if I need to do it or not!!

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited July 2016
    You could split your signal AFTER the cab sim - so that the delays/mods/reverb/etc receive an already speaker emulated signal.

i.e. -
    gtr > preamp > cab sim > (splitter)
    (splitter out A ) > DRY OUT to desk
    (splitter out B ) > fx unit(s) > WET OUT to desk

Depending on exactly what you're doing with the effects, this could sound absolutely fine. Basically, it's the equivalent of effects being added at the mixing desk to a mic'd up guitar amp. All you'd need is some kind of splitter or A/B/Y box.

[edit] sorry - the formatting doesn't seem to be functioning??
    [edit 2] I signed out and signed in again and got the formatting working. Worth a try if you're having problems.
    the SS-11a has an effects loop too, you could split the signal from that possibly
    If I sent a signal out of the fx loop on the SS11a but didn't bring it back to the fx return, would that therefore mean no signal coming out of the normal 'Out' socket. If so, I still only have one signal path
    If you use a splitter or Y lead out of the loop you could put one end in to the return and the other somewhere else. (I think)