Pod xt, finally dying?

What's Hot
nick79nick79 Frets: 257
My Pod XT is about 11/12 years old now and has served me well, but the screen is dying (can just about still make out what it's saying or can just plug it into the pc) but now it's developed a really annoying fault where the reverb keeps coming on and no sooner do you turn it off it comes back on again. Wouldn't be so bad but its cavernous and sounds shit... I've had it apart and sprayed contact cleaner as best i can in the pots and switches but i'm stumped now. 

I'm a bit annoyed as i can get some really great sounds out of it and along with the floorboard i've got with it i wanted to use it for the effects in my band. But then i guess it is quite old and i've had my moneys worth out of it. 

So, anyone know how i can fix it? And if not whats worth looking at buying next? Pod hd500? Helix looks awesome but not sure i want to spunk a grand on it (is it really that good..??)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    First thing to do would be to call 01908 366700 and speak to our service team. I'm not sure if we are able to support XT now but worth asking the question. The only problem I see is the potential cost involved. It may be better to buy a used XT. 

Alternative replacements would of course be something like the HD500X if you need the onboard editing or if you don't mind using an app, the Firehawk is pretty awesome. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    Or speak to Mark Wright on 07738 054642. Mark was one of the service team at the old Line6 UK and cut his teeth repairing these things - he's now doing repairs on gear in the Northants area (not a million miles away). He's a great guy an worth a call.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 257
    Cheers guys, although i'm thinking it's probably not worth spending any money on. The HD500x is tempting, am i likely to hear much of a difference from the XT with that? I'm guessing yes...
    HD500x will sound a bit different. The big difference is the user interface (which tbh, I've always hated) and the slightly less reliable switches...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmmm.... Not sure i like the sound of that. I quite fancy a Helix (who doesn't....) but not sure i would make the most of it. Time to read the Helix thread i reckon..
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    They'll have brought out Helix 2 by the time you get through all hundred and odd pages of that thread! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's true..
    Helix = expensive unless you are going to *use* all its functionality. And lets be honest, most folks won't...

The reverb fault with your XT is likely to be a duff pot (its digital, therefore any 'crackle' from the pot is interpretted as change and will confuse the processor, switch cleaner will NOT help)  - IIRC, these are a standard Alpha 10k pot (can't remember if linear or log) and used to be available as a spare from Line6 when I worked there.

The screen... well, it sounds like the backlight has failed. OR it could be duff solder joint between it and the main board - these joints could crack leading to intermittency. Either way it should be fixable.

At old Line6 prices, I'd imagine this to be about an hours labour (£48 ph) plus the price of the pot (can't remember but assume £5) and worst case a new screen (can't remember... assume £40) plus postage (£20). If the new service centre charge you more than that, well... that's their business. Either way, this *will* be cheaper to fix than buying an HD500x or a Helix.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    You might be able to pick up another Pod XT on Ebay for £50 or so.  Might be cheaper than repairs.

I'd steer clear of the X3 though.  I sold an XT to buy an X3 and regretted it.  I preferred the sound of the XT.  The X3 sounded fizzy to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom