May as Prime Minister ?

What's Hot
IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
What do you think are we in the shit ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    It's now been confirmed by cameron. She will be PM by wednesday evening.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Everyone hates the prime minister whoever it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So long as Clarkson doesn't come with him I guess it's OK. Oh, wait... wrong May. Same haircut though.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    Everyone hates the prime minister whoever it is.
    Exactly. Some people will think she's doing a good job, some people will think she's doing a bad job, and some people will be abusive in the extreme because they think the Prime Minister is a thing rather than a person and that their ideology gives them license to do so.

These things will never change.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I love how democratic it is. 
    Honestly! 
    A prime minister who only had 1 constituency's vote, gets me going that does... 

Seriously, someone who only maybe 15,000 voted for out of however many million gets to run the country? Fuck off. 
    I hate FPTP, I hate the tories and I hate how the nation is crying for a change of decision yet May is steadfast that we wont get what we want. 

The tories are already under investigation for electoral fraud, so they can get fucked as far as I am concered. 

Corbyn is a lame duck candidate and Tim Farron is an unknown. 

The lib dems need Clegg back. Seriously. 
    The BBC woukd give him the air time they arent giving Farron, the party would have a voice again. And that is exactly what the UK needs. A voice that speaks out against the corrupt tories and ineffectual Laborites. 
    Fucking anyone will do. But politics NEEDS to change. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Hertz32 said:
    Honestly! 

Seriously, someone who only maybe 15,000 voted for out of however many million gets to run the country? Fuck off. 
    I hate FPTP, I hate the tories and I hate how the nation is crying for a change of decision yet May is steadfast that we wont get what we want. 
    Have you forgotten what happened with the last Labour government? It's nothing to do with the Tories, this is just what happens when the country votes without too much thought (en masse) as to the consequences.

Much as I hate the referendum result, complaining that it's undemocratic that she's not going to go against it is somewhat silly.

She's doing exactly what's necessary to stop the country's economy further hitting the skids; it's all about confidence and certainty. Putting more uncertainty (by potentially ignoring the result, or calling an election) into the mix is overwhelmingly likely to do more damage; remember, a couple of bad months can take years to recover from.

Besides, the Lib Dems are most likely unelectable in our lifetimes. Labour aren't credible at all (especially when the economy's already on the ropes...they've never done anything but destroy it since time immemorial, and they've always been handed it in good shape).

Aside from all that...have you actually listened to any of the things she's said about her plan with an open mind, rather than from a blanket perspective of hating the Tories?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    I actually think this is more democratic than if it had gone to the Tory Party membership - this way she has at least been chosen by people who were elected, and can be un-elected if we don't like what she does. If it had gone to the membership she (or Leadsom) would have been chosen by a group of self-appointed, unaccountable party members.

We don't actually elect the PM even in a General Election, we choose an MP to vote on our behalf on any issue that comes before Parliament, so for an in-power change of PM that should be the way it's done as well.

Splitting hairs again I'm sure :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4164
    He'd get my vote.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    He'd get my vote.
    I can't see how he could do any worse than the one behind him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Hertz32 said:
    Honestly! 

The tories are already under investigation for electoral fraud, so they can get fucked as far as I am concered. 

The BBC woukd give him the air time they arent giving Farron, the party would have a voice again. And that is exactly what the UK needs. A voice that speaks out against the corrupt tories and ineffectual Laborites. 
    Which part of "we don't have a Presidential system" is the hard bit? Changing from FPTP wouldn't give us a Presidential system.

Less anger, more thinking.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    edited July 2016
    Chalky said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Honestly! 

Which part of "we don't have a Presidential system" is the hard bit? Changing from FPTP wouldn't give us a Presidential system.

Basically this.
    You don't vote for a PM, you vote for your local MP.
    The party elects the leader and we should all know that could change at any point during a term.

I actually think Farron is doing an OK job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    octatonic said:
    Chalky said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Honestly! 

Basically this.
    You don't vote for a PM, you vote for your local MP.
    The party elects the leader and we should all know that could change at any point during a term.

Thank you. Saved me typing it all out on my phone. 

Just to confirm though. She is exactly as elected as Cameron was. One constituency vote. And nothing else. Like all our prime ministers 
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    octatonic said:

I think most people can look after two friends and a dog. But put him in front of the country and we'd be watching 'songs of praise' every night and twice on Sunday. ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:

Thank you. Saved me typing it all out on my phone. 

Just to confirm though. She is exactly as elected as Cameron was. One constituency vote. And nothing else. Like all our prime ministers 
    The irony, though? All of our PMs are actually less-elected than the MEPs we chose to represent us in Europe, that the country voted against because they're "unelected".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    As long as she gets us out of the EU.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Hertz32 said:
    Honestly! 

Dude, Cameron was voted for by only one constituency too. So was every PM before him.

If you are going to be furious with The System just because it is The System I suggest you get yourself some good private cardiology healthcare. The System can't not be there.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited July 2016
    Its like a real life House of Cards!

Underwood will be showing up soon.

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    @Hertz32 How do you know the country is crying out for a change of decision? Anecdote? Polls run by the same companies who got the last two national votes wrong?
    Use Your Brian
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    Tarot reading using a Top Trumps deck?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6728
    edited July 2016
    Party Politics is what is fucking us up. Little "grown up" boys (and girls) from Eaton, Harrow, Oxford etc. It's a class decision, not a political one, always. Each licking each other's arses and giving each other self-congratulatory secret handshakes. Drives me nuts.