NGD - Gibson Les Paul Classic...

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 897
NGD for me on Saturday, with the addition of a 1994 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Classic :)

It had the designation "Heritage" after the description in the shop, though I can't find any record of such a model (?)

Spec:
- Five digit (4 xxxx) inked-on serial number, but no 'Made in USA' identation.
- Custom Shop decal at the heel.
- Small headstock.
- 496R neck humbucker
- 500T bridge humbucker.
- Gibson Deluxe tuners.
- Nickel hardware.
- Single ply cream pickguard.
- ABR-1 bridge.
- Amber top hat knobs.
- Rosewood fingerboard.
- Wine red.

The only thing I'm guessing is not original is the chrome jack socket plate.

As a 'Classic', AFAIK it's supposed to be all mahogany body and neck, but it's a little confusing. I was told to look for a round hole between top switch and pots cavities, as this indicated a drilled hole and therefore one-piece body (as opposed to a square routed channel on guitars where a top was added later) but, as I can see a centre join I am pretty sure a top has been applied to mine. It still looks like mahogany rather than maple though. Will have to get the pickups out...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Great colour. Love wine red lesters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14468
    tFB Trader
    I'm not aware of an LP Classic with a one piece, or, all mahogany body - as a 1994 yours will be an early version with the Les Paul Classic headstock logo - up to 1993 is stated Les Paul model - so other than a thicker binding in the cutaway on yours, compared to a pre 1993, they are effectively the same animal - These changes took place as it was to similar to the more expensive 1960 LP reissue (especially the LP Classic Plus and Premium Plus with highly figured tops) as part of the Historic Collection program

Some will prefer the existing open coil ceramic  pick-ups (99% certain they are not 496/500 pick-ups) and I can't argue with that thought, but to me a set of pickups with a paf flavour will move improve the guitars tonal character if you want a vintage voice - nice LP - a 60's flavoured slimmer neck

Note yours still has the vintage style push in 'bushings' on the tuners

I assume when you say a centre join, you mean on the top or the body

A nice guitar - not sure what you paid for it but I think they are a better LP than many Traditional and Classic models today
    tFB Trader
    sorry, but ref above - my error they are 496/500 ceramic p/ups

Not sure about the Custom Shop decal you mentioned though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1080
    edited July 2016
    Ooh I love that. Looks like Johnny Marr's main LP, with a touch of the Harrison/Clapton 'Lucy'. Nice score. Edit: this one http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/johnny-marr-the-les-paul.108559/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gosh!!!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I'm not aware of an LP Classic with a one piece, or, all mahogany body - as a 1994 yours will be an early version with the Les Paul Classic headstock logo - up to 1993 is stated Les Paul model - so other than a thicker binding in the cutaway on yours, compared to a pre 1993, they are effectively the same animal - These changes took place as it was to similar to the more expensive 1960 LP reissue (especially the LP Classic Plus and Premium Plus with highly figured tops) as part of the Historic Collection program

Some will prefer the existing open coil ceramic  pick-ups (99% certain they are not 496/500 pick-ups) and I can't argue with that thought, but to me a set of pickups with a paf flavour will move improve the guitars tonal character if you want a vintage voice - nice LP - a 60's flavoured slimmer neck

Note yours still has the vintage style push in 'bushings' on the tuners

I assume when you say a centre join, you mean on the top or the body

A nice guitar - not sure what you paid for it but I think they are a better LP than many Traditional and Classic models today
    Thanks for the info.

I think it is all-mahogany, but with the two-piece mahogany top added in the same way a maple top would be. (pic below)

The Custom Shop logo (pic below) is beneath the lacquer, so I presume it's all genuine.

Interestingly, I just found an almost identical 1995 listed in the States... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Classic-Custom-Shop-M-hogany-Top-All-Original-OHSC-/262514303405

...but the CS logo is different.

tFB Trader
    That looks all genuine to me and yes it is all mahogany - something I've not seen before but the nature of Custom Shop is the 'one off' process - sometimes ordered by a certain dealer, sometimes create as a limited run for shows like NAMM

Looking at the link you supplied, it has paf based p/ups - have you checked yours to see what they are

The serial number has me thinking at this stage - many Custom Shop models start with a CS serial number sequence - yet 4 9081 would normally be found on a vintage replica like Historic Collection etc in which case 4 would indicate a 1954 reissue - That is clearly not the case with your LP so at this stage I can't recall coming across this sequence before - But no worries as it all look genuine - maybe another FB member might be aware of this serial number format
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    All early classics were like this. They then changed them, as a plain truss rod cover was all it took..,
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5871
    Very Nice, you even got a matching cable, you posh sod ;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I will take a look under the pickups when I get chance, so I can see what model they actually are. I understand they could be '57s too....

That might also tell me whether or not I have a long tenon neck. Plus, sometimes these Classics have a model designation stamped in the cavity.

It is a strange serial numbering, but appears correct from others I've been finding online.

The cable is an old George-Ls! :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Jesus that is one big amp!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gadget said:
    I will take a look under the pickups when I get chance, so I can see what model they actually are. I understand they could be '57s too....

That might also tell me whether or not I have a long tenon neck. Plus, sometimes these Classics have a model designation stamped in the cavity.

It is a strange serial numbering, but appears correct from others I've been finding online.

The cable is an old George-Ls! :)
    Yes I've seen other similar numbers after some googling about - Think they are all short neck tenon
    Okay, here we go with the pickups....
    Bridge first. No stamp, just the remnants of a small black sticker. Has a small wood spacer (second pic).

And the neck pickup...
    Again, no markings, just the patch where a sticker once was. The same wood spacer....

tFB Trader
    looks like they will be Classic 57's - the ceramic 496/500 set are stamped Gibson on the base - that again supports other C/Shop models that are similar - so a bonus in my mind - I assume it is a short tenon as well on the neck join
    .... I assume it is a short tenon as well on the neck join
    It's difficult to tell. In the pic below you can see a line between two different coloured areas which might suggest a long tenon (?) I have tried to follow the grain through from one side to the other and not all match-up, but it's not completely clear on such heavily-grained timber. It's a veryneat job if that's the join.
    It's also initialled "VL" or "VC" - presumably the guy/gal who made the neck?

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2016
    Looks like a nice guitar. Especially if you paid reasonable money for it.

One problem with these is that they have occasionally been confused with Pre-Historic guitars, either deliberately by the  seller, or innocently. It was probably a mistake for Gibson to use the  * **** serial format on a non-Reissue guitar.

Yes, it is confusing. And I still don't know what 'extras' the Custom Shop build provides on this - presumably just better attention to detail / build quality?

I picked it up for £1,200
    tFB Trader
    I see what you mean Gadget - regular Classic, Classic Plus and Premium Plus models have a short tenon - I just wonder that as yours is a Custom Shop model and by this time Gibson had commenced with the 1960 replica models, that yours, being a Custom Shop model, is effectively built on the same chassis

Which links partly in with the comments above from Skipped - Gibson have undoubtedly had a checkered history of clarity at times which can cause confusion and raise questions at a later date
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2016
    Gadget said:
    Yes, it is confusing. And I still don't know what 'extras' the Custom Shop build provides on this - presumably just better attention to detail / build quality?

I picked it up for £1,200
    I think your guitar is well worth that. If you ever move that on there will be plenty of people interested.

It seems to me that Gibson were just a bit careless with the use of the Custom Shop Edition logo and that it may be that the Marketing dept were driving this. The first Les Paul Re-Issue guitars appeared in the early to mid 80's (after a few dummy runs) and they had a very similar stamp on the back of the headstock. (For example Mark Knopfler's  Re-Issue that you can hear on Brothers in Arms.)

You may recall a thread on this forum about the guitar in the link below. I am sure it is a very nice Les Paul with an unbound neck but I would be surprised if it was made by the guys in the Custom Shop and I would be surprised if he gets £3k for it. (Now reduced to £2,700.)
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-les-paul-custom-shop-edition-one-off-/1175725462