NGD - Gibson Les Paul Classic...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    tFB Trader
    I'd  say at £1200 you got a very good buy - how it feels, plays and sounds only you can answer that but I'm sure it will outperform all/many of today's new Gibson Guitars at a similar price - enjoy it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    tFB Trader
    Skipped said:
    Gadget said:
    Yes, it is confusing. And I still don't know what 'extras' the Custom Shop build provides on this - presumably just better attention to detail / build quality?

I picked it up for £1,200
    I think your guitar is well worth that. If you ever move that on there will be plenty of people interested.

It seems to me that Gibson were just a bit careless with the use of the Custom Shop Edition logo and that it may be that the Marketing dept were driving this. The first Les Paul Re-Issue guitars appeared in the early to mid 80's (after a few dummy runs) and they had a very similar stamp on the back of the headstock. (For example Mark Knopfler's  Re-Issue that you can hear on Brothers in Arms.)

You may recall a thread on this forum about the guitar in the link below. I am sure it is a very nice Les Paul with an unbound neck but I would be surprised if it was made by the guys in the Custom Shop and I would be surprised if he gets £3k for it. (Now reduced to £2,700.)
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-les-paul-custom-shop-edition-one-off-/1175725462

Agree and there has always been that view point with the ES339 with custom shop decal
  • I agree, Mark.

I had a 339... it was a decent enough guitar... but not great... and certainly not worthy of the 'Custom Shop' decal.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7108
    tFB Trader
    That's a short tenon. VC=Vintage Cherry
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 900
    Thanks for the observations and comments guys. It plays really nice, as the neck is slim and the frets are reasonably narrow and tall, unlike some Gibson offerings. The neck binding is quite thin and well profiled too, which helps playability a lot. It sounds great, acoustically and plugged-in (must do a sound clip!) I think £1200 was a great deal. It wasn't advertised as a Custom Shop, so that was a bonus, though as people have said here, I'm not sure that deserves to lift it above any other guitar on that moniker alone. I spent quite some time looking at the walls of current Les Paul models in PMT and GuitarGuitar and honestly didn't see anything which appealed to me as much as this one, and very very few were cheaper.
    That's a short tenon. VC=Vintage Cherry
    Thanks, that makes sense. I think you're right about the tenon. Looking online, it appears that shape / fit would be wrong anyway.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........