Line 6 m5 boost

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
Ive been using my Line 6 m5 for the effects via my midi part of the Grandmiester which is doing an ok job but I think Ill end up using the onboard effects instead. However, what I am noticing is that the amps on board boost is very hissy and top endy so I may end up using the drive section of the m5 for boosts etc just as its midi enabled. 

I need to test how this sounds to my ears but am I being a pedal snob thinking that a multi fx until isnt going to be as a good an a traditional single boost pedal like a ts or similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It does a passable tubescreamer and a transparent clean boost iirc. The high gain dist pedals suck. The fuzz face model is fun. Nothing like a fuzz face, butna good sound in its own right.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Avoid avoid avoid

lots of people say the Tubescreamer is passable but I think it sucks 

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    the boosts and compressions aren't too bad. Never gave the overdrives a serious go (ts and the like) but as a flat boost, or a transparent boost they work quite well. especially in the loop
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I used an M13 for years and the clean boost with the EQ and drive is really good I used it to fatten up a 62 RI strat for Frusciante based stuff
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Tbh, I've already got one so I'm going to give it a whirl. At low volumes it didn't sound too bad do ill be winding it up properly on Friday. Ive been looking at the nova drive too which does seem to be a little more of my thing but it's all money atm :(
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    I've actually started using the tube screamer on the m5 over a real one. It's Embarrassingly good to the point where I've been asked what pedal it was after gigs. Couple it with a decent delays,  phaser and chorus, it's always good to have a strymo, sorry I mean line6 M5 on your board. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    Try it. If you like the sound, who cares what we all think? I have an M5, too. Some of the modulation effects are very decent (which is what I use), some very unmusical (but that's MY taste, may not be yours). The clean boost works well enough. I don't like the distortions or overdrives much. The EQ is quite good, too. It is a bit big on the board if you're only using one pedal model, though.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Jetfire said:
    Tbh, I've already got one so I'm going to give it a whirl. At low volumes it didn't sound too bad do ill be winding it up properly on Friday. Ive been looking at the nova drive too which does seem to be a little more of my thing but it's all money atm :(
    The Nova Drive is one of my all time favourites. The clean blen on the overdrive side and the ability to switch the routing around or into parallel is awesome

remember though it's an analog pedal. It's not digital like the M5
    once you are talking volume it is the power section that is important IMO
    no probs using a modelled pedal to push a valve power section
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    When I had my M9 I think I used the compressor with the compression level at minimum as a boost. Otherwise I didn't like any of the drives on there,  although Internet wisdom seems to be don't assume they will be okay with everything at noon then adjust to taste, instead be prepared to do some serious knob twiddling to get the best sounds. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    The screamer, the tube driver and the facial fuzz are all very useable with a bit of tweaking

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    When I had an M13 I used the "COMP BOOST" effect to hit other drives and it worked very well.