Egnater Tweaker or Jet City JCA22H

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72623
    ^ Buy that @thomasross20.

Using lower gain preamp valves to improve the clean sound is a very good idea. You could also do it by changing a couple of resistors - the 'SLO clean mod' - but valves is easier, and the plate resistors are definitely beefy enough to support any 12A*7 type.

The build quality is excellent - how they do them at that price, even given that they're made in China, is remarkable.

And quite unlike Egnaters, which seem to have a reputation for faults - often serious ones, like transformers. I've worked on a few, and heard of several more personally and loads of horror stories online.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Tempting but physically big compared to the Victory's? Also 20W not enough headroom for big clean sounds? 
    I think it'll sell soon!
    Think I'm coming down to the Victory's or the Brunetti Singleman Head (£1300 for that, though!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31661
    The Custom 22 is a fantastic amp, with a beautiful clean channel. I clipped a cap on the dirty channel gain pot to make it fatter but I rarely use that channel anyway. 

The clean channel does a fair bit of crunch too, but is one of the few channels on any amp where the entire gain range has detailed authentic tones. 

I don't miss either of my JTM45s or my Princeton. It's a wonderful amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Tempting but physically big compared to the Victory's? Also 20W not enough headroom for big clean sounds? 
    I think it'll sell soon!
    Think I'm coming down to the Victory's or the Brunetti Singleman Head (£1300 for that, though!)
    20w seems low......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    I think it'll sell soon!
    20w seems low......
    Trust me, it's not. There's enough clean headroom to play over a drummer, without PA assistance. Remember, Mike Soldano designs his power sections to be very clean.
    <space for hire>
  • Tempting but physically big compared to the Victory's? Also 20W not enough headroom for big clean sounds? 
    I think it'll sell soon!

Trust me, they may be bigger but they are definitely not a hassle to move around - at all. 

And very, very loud. For £120, you can't go wrong. It'll knock the balls off your Suhr riot, which probably cost that? 

If nothing else, it would make a cheap, reliable great sounding back up. But I really think it's the amp for you - if you're nervous about dipping your toes into valve amps. 
    I think it'll sell soon!

Trust me, they may be bigger but they are definitely not a hassle to move around - at all. 

And very, very loud. For £120, you can't go wrong. It'll knock the balls off your Suhr riot, which probably cost that? 

If nothing else, it would make a cheap, reliable great sounding back up. But I really think it's the amp for you - if you're nervous about dipping your toes into valve amps. 
    I'm tempted too........might it look good on this cab I picked up the other week @ digitalscream?
    @professorben - yes, especially given that you've already got the feet on the end. It fits perfectly with the cab vertically.
    <space for hire>
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I think it'll sell soon!

Im very tempted by this. Unfortunately, im not going to be in a position to buy for another month or so. If you've still got it then, ill give you  a shout ;)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    For anyone that's interest - I spoke to Jet City and they are expecting new stock in towards the end of the month.
    RedRabbit said:
    For anyone that's interest - I spoke to Jet City and they are expecting new stock in towards the end of the month.
    Nice one, dude :)
    <space for hire>
    Realistically is 20w loud enough? 
    I use a clean clean, and I just don't see how >50w is going to be sufficient, I play with a real drummer, a loud bassist and Keys. 
    Realistically is 20w loud enough? 
    I use a clean clean, and I just don't see how >50w is going to be sufficient, I play with a real drummer, a loud bassist and Keys. 
    Yes. You have to gun the volume on the crunch channel and keep the gain fairly low, but yes.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    Just to offer a different opinion. 

I own a JCA22H and I don't think the pure clean is anywhere near loud enough to stand up to a band. 

I also think the clean sound with the gain right down is pretty shit. 

You can get a decent clean sound, but you have to do it by rolling the volume back on the guitar with the gain up a little bit, but it's not what someone who played country or funk would call a proper clean sound. 

It's the doing of the preamp as I use an Amplifire into the FX return and you get stacks of clean headroom.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I have a (cosmetically mutilated) 15 watt Tweaker. It's more versatile than the JC but if you like what the JC does it's better at it. I'd get the Jet City personally.
    Andertons told me they've had very few coming back with issues in the 8 months they've been stocking Egnaters. 

I hear the power transformer solution has been re-vamped... I don't know if all the Egnater complaints are old or if there are still issues. I'll tell you, those tweaker switches have a big effect on the sound (I use one at rehearsal) - they really sound fantastic to my ears. Way better than the Orange or Marshall amps they have.
    I'm not 100% convinced about Andertons' return reports. The Cap'n himself told me that the reason they stopped stocking Jet City amps was that they were unreliable and they had tons of returns; the thing is, that's quite literally the only report of them being unreliable that's ever been heard.
    <space for hire>
    Oh! Hmmm.....
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31661
    Just to offer a different opinion. 

I own a JCA22H and I don't think the pure clean is anywhere near loud enough to stand up to a band. 

I also think the clean sound with the gain right down is pretty shit. 

You can get a decent clean sound, but you have to do it by rolling the volume back on the guitar with the gain up a little bit, but it's not what someone who played country or funk would call a proper clean sound. 

It's the doing of the preamp as I use an Amplifire into the FX return and you get stacks of clean headroom.
    I agree, that's why I bought the Custom 22, it's a proper clean sound, not a strangled, lifeless middly sound. 
    With the master on full, gain used as volume and the bright switch on you'd think you were playing through a very nice old non master volume amp.