SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1970 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Player's Dream!

What's Hot
woody_89woody_89 Frets: 123
edited July 2016 in Guitars £

Hi all,

VERY reluctantly up for sale is my 1970 Les Paul Custom. This was one of those in the 'Never to be sold' pile, but sadly an old Gibson ES has come along that I have fallen in love with, which means this needs to be moved on.

It's definitely a player's guitar, as it's had a few mods over the years. However, there's nothing that I feel detracts from the overall feel of this 46 year old beauty. As the price of late sixties Les Pauls are skyrocketing, so are those of early seventies Les Pauls too, so this represents a relatively affordable way of getting into what would otherwise be a very valuable instrument! Have a look at US eBay to find other Les Pauls of this year and see what I mean!

Probably the most notable bit of work that's been done has been the addition of a middle humbucker. The fact that the guitar is loaded with THREE correct era Pat # pickups (all showing the same wear and patina) says to me that it was probably added on fairly early in its life. It's currently wired up as a standard Les Paul with only the bridge and neck pickups, but that would only be a simple change if you're solder-savvy. As it is you've got the best of both worlds; none of the squawky out-of-phase middle position, but the stunning looks of the three pickups!

The other big mod that the guitar's had is that the rear of the neck (along with a couple of tiny patches on the back) has been refinished and had the volute (little lump of wood on the back of the headstock) removed, leaving the neck looking like that of an earlier guitar. I've seen this done on a few guitars of this period and it still baffles me! I can only assume that the headstock has been broken, (as why else would it have been refinished?), but there's nothing to give that away other than the refin and the sanded volute. There have been other tuners on it at some point, but it's currently sporting the waffleback machine heads that would've been standard. Other than that, the guitar appears all original. It had a bigsby on it at some point, but it's now back with its original (and valuable) lightweight aluminium tailpiece and ABR-1 bridge.

Acoustically the guitar is loud and vibrant, with great sustain. The Pat # pickups sound great too, with quite a polite PAF-y voice, but with a little more grunt that takes gain really well!

It's not a back breaker either. I've not had it on scales, but I'd imagine it to be around the 10lb mark. Very manageable, and certainly much lighter than a lot of other LPs from this era that I've owned. It's also got a fantastic neck profile - really fat! The guitar comes in its original purple lined case which is still in very serviceable condition.

I'm looking for £2250 ONO, which I think is a fair price for a custom of this era, particularly considering how much the all original examples are selling for. However, no sensible offer refused!

I'm based in Leeds/Huddersfield, but travel around a fair bit, so if you're not local then just ask!

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    WOW dually awarded mate!

Stunning guitar and, as we all know by now, Sam is one of the best!

GLWS my man, but you won't need it! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    haven`t cried for a long time, but have tears in my eyes right now.......
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    warhead said:
    haven`t cried for a long time, but have tears in my eyes right now.......
    Same here.

I was reading this ad on my phone while walking to the kitchen and stubbed my toe on the kitchen door....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    my oh my, that's a bit special...
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    You have pm 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Trotter said:
    You have pm 
    I was just about to message you @trotter to say get on this! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    You knows it my man :)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Lovely :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Given you a Wow and a bump because this is beautiful!
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Fancy a Goldtop? :)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• woody_89woody_89 Frets: 123
    shugz said:
    Fancy a Goldtop? :)

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Hugh, you know I do! I tried this very trade with you a year ago! Haha!
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 373
    Oof! If only it was a '71! Beautiful mate. Sold status beckons. Must be a tasty ES incoming to let this go. Hope you're well. pc ;-)
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Sorry Sam couldn't resist ;)

Best of luck with the sale, crackingly good L.P. oh, and answer your Facebook message....we need to know, we need to know!

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    that's beautiful looking
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    That guitar is wild horny
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Best of luck with the sale - I have a 1972 custom, players grade with the original number of pickups. The most amazing guitar I've played, the resonance on these things is incredible - and considering you're getting a Kalamazoo guitar made only 11 years after 1959 - this is a bargain. Best of luck!
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    That's a "out of my cold dead hands" LP...........I wish I could, but I fear I can't

Someone's going to love this. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Thanks for the kind words guys! It's a beauty, and I really wish I didn't have to be selling it. Sadly I've got to the point where I need to be working on a one in/one out system though :(
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Ding. Dong.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

The guitar has now sold! I must say, @Trotter is one of the nicest chaps I've had the pleasure of dealing with, and a full on guitar nerd to boot! Sad to see it go though..