Marshall 2061x Head

KylefKylef Frets: 1074
Who here has one and how do you feel about it?

I've been without a Marshall for a good few years now, and wouldn't mind checking this out. 

Being 20 watts, how quick does it break up, does it get into Plexi territory and is it a good pedal platform? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Good pedal platform. Stays clean quite high up, particularly with single coils. Gets you into lower volume plexi territory. Reliability is questionable, in my experience, having received dud new ones.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    I have one and it produces a glorious tone. I use it mainly with humbucker-equipped guitars and a Klon to boost it.

Keep in mind that it's far too loud for home use - it needs to be cranked before it will give up the goods.
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    edited July 2016
    I've had one for 3 years now and love it. As has been said, it's great for pedals as it stays clean pretty high up. Jumpering the 2 channels is a great way to go as you get more tonal choices but either channel is still great on it's own. The other thing I like about it is it's simplicity - only 4 knobs on the front panel. Less is more. No reverb but great with reverb pedal. I have the matching 2061CX cab which is almost the size of a 412 but only a 212 (and half the weight) - fitted with 2 x Celestion G12H-30W speakers. Glorious. 20 watts has always been more than enough for the gigs my band do. 

I am not young enough to know everything

• KylefKylef Frets: 1074
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like it will be ideal for me if the suggestions are anything to go by so I've ordered one.

I have a Hiwatt 2x12 Vertical Combo that I will use with it for a bit, but knowing me I'll probably have to get the proper cabinet eventually. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited July 2016
    I have a Cornell Plexi 18/20 head and at one time I had the 2061x as well and did a side by side comparison through the same cab. Going from the Marshall to the Cornell was a bit like lifting a blanket off the 2x12, not so much louder but a clearer, more 'present' sound. It's worth checking out the Cornell if you get the chance. The Marshall is a great amp too though.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    edited July 2016

I am not young enough to know everything