Sports that shouldn't be in the olympics

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
Sports that I don't think should be in the olympics ..

Dressage: what a load of poncy rubbish, You sit on a horse and it trots around. No way is that a 'sport'. 

Synchronised swimming: More rubbish. Girls in a pool splashing around with a false smile airbrushed on. No way is that a 'sport'. 

Pro Golf: they ain't interested so why include them. They have the Majors and it is those they all want to win. All the top players are already dropping out.

Pro Tennis: Once again, why include them? They have their own majors.

Basketball: just cos I think its a shite game (along with baseball and American Football) - hey, it's just my opinion, don't lose sleep over it!

Sports to include:

Well, Squash for a start. It's not the best thing to watch but it is a classic old sport and it would be massive for them.

naked womens beach volleyball: I'd go and watch it!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    I'm perfectly happy with dressage & synchronised swimming being in there. What absolutely shouldn't be in is stuff where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of the sport - tennis, golf, basketball, football, arguably boxing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I think tug of war should be back in.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Football.  Whats the point of that being in there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    It is absolutely bizarre that squash isn't an Olympic sport.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I don't like dressage but having known someone who competed up to national level, I know its rather more than sitting on a horse and it trotting round.  More akin to a precision driving test in a rally car?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Climbing should be in, we'd dominate. 
    Bouldering is a spectacularly cool sport to watch in particular! You can practically turn a bouldering comp into a rave. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    They've changed the boxing haven't they? Pro's will enter, it kind of takes away the point of the olympics for me.

I know they're all getting money one way or another and probably have been for years, but the Olympics should be there for "shit" sports that otherwise nobody has much interest in on a week by week level apart from those that are involved, or into it-so athletics, amateur boxing, hockey, swimming (although the swimming pisses me off-different strokes? Fuck off, every race should be freestyle-that is quickest over any distance, in the same way that all the running events are-you don't have a backwards race, or a how fast can you run 100m with one hand on the floor at all times, although we do have the waddling race, which is pointless IMO).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited July 2016
    Tennis and football - if a sport's biggest 'prize' is bigger than the Olympic Games gold medal then it just feels like it's there for the wrong reasons. As always, there are exceptions to the rule: Amateur and professional boxing really are like two distinct sports. Basketball is also a funny one because you can't say that the USA shouldn't compete but, if they weren't in it, it would fit right in.

Synchronised swimming: More rubbish. Girls in a pool splashing around with a false smile airbrushed on. No way is that a 'sport'. 

Many years ago I had the pleasure/misfortune of training with the West German women's synchronised swimming squad - it was one of the most gruelling training sessions I've ever taken part in. The 'splashing around' takes an extraordinary amount of athleticism.

edit - boggles my mind that squash isn't in.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited July 2016
    Football, tennis, golf, boxing, rugby union: all because the Olympic gold isn't REALLY the pinnacle of the sport in question.
    I'd happily add squash, netball and underwater swimming (it used to be in there anyway- I think it'd be fun... Though maybe not for the crowd!) how the hell squash and netball aren't in there already is a mystery.
     I wouldn't like to see something like surfing/wakeboarding/dancing in there, there are enough sports where the judging can be arbitrary at best (diving and some of the gymnastics in particular).
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    ironing
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    Iron-man Triathlon! The pros at this deserve the recognition.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    they should get rid of:

- football

- tennis

- golf.

Other stuff, too, probably.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Quidditch

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    Get rid of anything where marks are awarded for artistic interpretation, also anything done to music.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Horses should have their own podium
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Anything that requires judges isn't a sport, so shouldn't be there
    Anything that requires judges isn't a sport, so shouldn't be there
    definitely ironing then
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited July 2016
    Basketball is shite sport? Wow. I know you don't have any idea what's it all about but there are people who do understand that game and it being included in Olympics games is actually quite interesting, as it's one of the very few opportunities where professionals from american league can compete for a medal with best players from Europe. 
    Don't worry - I won't lose any sleep over it either ;-)

Footie is different as we have Euros and WC, Copa Americas where prestige is higher imho.

Agree re dressage (I like horses, but this is clearly very regional thing [sport? not sure])
    in ice hockey, the Olympics have a higher prestige than the World Championships
    in fact, although the World Championships generally take place whilst the Stanley Cup is taking place, the national teams in the World Championships [for the major nations especially] will be diluted if players are members of teams that are still in the Stanley Cup..
    but the Olympics will have all teams at full strength
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What shouldn't be in? Anything where there's a pro-tournament considered higher profile than the Olympics - including football 

To add? 
    Wifwaf 
    Pankrateon 
    Jui jitsu