Tim and Pete's Guitar Show w/ Michael Thompson

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
This is the best ever:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've seen quite a few Michael Thompson clips. He's a pretty decent player with an absolutely killer studio full of gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    edited July 2016
    His pedalboard wouldn't work for a lot of us who are so ocdish about our boards, but he always seems to have any amazing sound despute the pedalboard jungle in his studio, especially his big reverb drenched clean sounds. Loved this video. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited July 2016
    Great clip. I'd completely forgotten about Michael Thompson.

I remember hearing some great guitar playing on some music many years ago. Nothing flashy, but I was immediately struck by the tone, feel and (in the pocket) time. So I had to track down who it was and it turned out to be Michael Thompson, who I'd not heard of at the time.

I'm not certain, but I think the music where I first heard him was the sound track to the film What's Love Go To Do With It.

It's not a competition.
  • This is the best ever:

MT is the best!  Amazing guy...fully of great stories!
    Mason J. Marangella
    Vertex Effects, Inc.
    mason@vertexeffects.com

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3043
    I loved what they said about the high action on the guitar they used for soling. That's how I feel about the action on my guitars - I like to feel like I have to work to get the sound out of it. I really don't like low action. :)

R.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I loved what they said about the high action on the guitar they used for soling. That's how I feel about the action on my guitars - I like to feel like I have to work to get the sound out of it. I really don't like low action. :)

R.
    I read an article about Michael's Greg Back guitar (the one they mention has the high action) and it gave the details of the setup and, as far as I remember, it has like 1.75mm of action, which is kinda high I guess.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I find this show endlessly fascinating.
  • I loved what they said about the high action on the guitar they used for soling. That's how I feel about the action on my guitars - I like to feel like I have to work to get the sound out of it. I really don't like low action. :)

R.
    I read an article about Michael's Greg Back guitar (the one they mention has the high action) and it gave the details of the setup and, as far as I remember, it has like 1.75mm of action, which is kinda high I guess.  
    It also has huge strings...11's last I recall.

The Strat has a little lighter strings to get that more "jangley" thing going that MT is famous for on the clean tone side.
    Mason J. Marangella
    Vertex Effects, Inc.
    mason@vertexeffects.com

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i wasn't aware of this guy but he creates some killer sounds on this video and has a really interesting approach. Also when Tim Pierce lays down his one take solo you can see why he's had such a successful career, his playing is so melodic and interesting, massively inspiring

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Bugger me, he's got a Bassbreaker!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    i wasn't aware of this guy but he creates some killer sounds on this video and has a really interesting approach. Also when Tim Pierce lays down his one take solo you can see why he's had such a successful career, his playing is so melodic and interesting, massively inspiring
    I think Tim played the best solo on that clip to be honest.