Blackstar Artist (not Artisan) 15......any users?

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
edited July 2016 in Amps
In my quest to find something low wattage amp I've been looking at all sorts of stuff (Bassbreaker, Tweed Deluxe, Tweaker, Jet City etc), all probably very different and at differing budgets, though nothing silly money.

One I'd forgot about was the Blackstar Artist 15 which, on paper and on the YouTube videos looks pretty good. 15w, 2 channel, not high gain, pedal platform etc. However, there doesn't seem to be masses of info about them in use.....so.......anyone using one, or tried one? what do/ did you think?

Go!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    Tried one in Guitar Guitar about 5 years ago through a 4x12 turned up loud and absolutely loved it. Wasn't quite enough clean headroom for me so I bought the A30 instead which wasn't in stock. When it arrived I was a little dissapointed as I didn't think that it sounded quite as good, probably because I couldn't turn it up so loud. Didn't stop me keeping it until 6 weeks ago, the longest that I've ever had an amp...... I know they divide opinion so as always, you have to go and try one for yourself! Don't rule them out though.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    I know someone who is selling one, he's just had a custom 5E3 built, so will be selling his beloved Artisan 15 to pay for it. 

He loves the Artisan, but it's a gigging amp, it's a bit polite at home practice volumes. Loved being goosed with pedals!
  • Do you mean the artist or artisan? 

They're quite different. The artisan is handwired. They're maybe based on ac30/ac15 amps but not sure. They're absolutely wonderful sounding things, though, and loud as hell. 

Never tried an artist 15. I think these are supposed to be clean voiced ht amps - so maybe following the hybrid preamp/valve power amp idea. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    I had an Artisan 15 and as @ThePrettyDamned states, it was bloody loud. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    More confusion between the artisan and artist names, must have been intentional by BS marketing to link the two product lines together like that and make the artist series appear to be more than they are. 
  • More confusion between the artisan and artist names, must have been intentional by BS marketing to link the two product lines together like that and make the artist series appear to be more than they are. 

I'm not sure I feel that cynical but it's certainly either dastardly clever or just really stupid. 

Particularly as artisan were often referred to as the "a15" or "a100"... 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    For clarity I mean the Artist
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

I said at first look this was going to be a problem! Peeps are going to be VERY pissed off in a few years time when the wrong s/h amp gets shipped.

Now, I am not a great expert on the AC15 but the ArtisAN only really shares EL84s in common with it.

The ArtIST is indeed a different beast and AFICT is a clean/cleanish two channel amp based on the HT series but using 6L6. Yes, it was designed as a good pedal platform. Also sports a better speaker than the run of the mill Blackies!

Dave.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    ecc83 said:

I said at first look this was going to be a problem! Peeps are going to be VERY pissed off in a few years time when the wrong s/h amp gets shipped.

Now, I am not a great expert on the AC15 but the ArtisAN only really shares EL84s in common with it.

The ArtIST is indeed a different beast and AFICT is a clean/cleanish two channel amp based on the HT series but using 6L6. Yes, it was designed as a good pedal platform. Also sports a better speaker than the run of the mill Blackies!

Dave.

The Artisan also has an EF86 preamp or 12ax7 choice 

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've only played through an Artist 15 once for about 15 minutes. This was when they first launched. I seem to remember quite liking it but I can't have loved it as I didn't buy one.
    The Artisan is indeed a very different beast.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Mark... Let's go amp shopping!
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Rich....yes!
    tone1 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

The Artisan also has an EF86 preamp or 12ax7 choice 

Not me saying that Tone. The "pre amp" in each case is 1/2 an ECC83. One channel does indeed contain an EF86 but in a very low gain configuration and in no way to be compared with early Vox circuits.

As is often the case, assumptions are made as to how amplifiers work by just looking at the valves. Not that simple.

Dave.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I've been gigging an Artisan 30 this last year & love it. However I don't like the weightlifting that goes with moving it around.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Ah sorry @ecc83 I thought you were saying the Vox only shares EL84's in common with the Artisan but I thought they both had EF86 pre amp valves? My knowledge is a bit limited on what goes on under the bonnet
    tone1 said:
    Ah sorry @ecc83 I thought you were saying the Vox only shares EL84's in common with the Artisan but I thought they both had EF86 pre amp valves? My knowledge is a bit limited on what goes on under the bonnet

No worries T! Just pulled up an AC15 map. Very different and the Vox is a more complex circuit including a choke in the whole HT feed to the amp, the Artisans put the choke in only the G2 and small signal feeds. The filter caps in the Artisans are also much bigger. I would doubt the two amplifiers sound very much alike at all?

Dave.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    The 30 is indeed a rich sounding, open, loud amp but a whopper in terms of bulk and weight too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I'm lost on which amp everyone is talking about now! The one I'm interested in getting some feedback/ info about is the Artist, NOT the Artisan.

Yes, it has all got a bit confusing.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2016
    Sassafras said:
    I'm lost on which amp everyone is talking about now! The one I'm interested in getting some feedback/ info about is the Artist, NOT the Artisan.

Yes, it has all got a bit confusing.
    To be fair the OP has stated Artist right from the start (and the recent title edit makes it doubly clear), it's the other posters that assumed it was the Artisan. Seems there aren't many/any Artist users on here. 

I'm quite intereted in them myself (although I'd want the 30 as a head and it only comes as a combo).