In the mix

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7498
Been listening to this

which is probably my favourite album ever. I think it's got *perfect* tone. 

But isolate it as above and... It would be interesting to know what you all think really! I wouldn't change it one bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    More room sound than I'd expect
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbot said:
    More room sound than I'd expect

The drums for Give It Away were recorded in a conservatory, and the album was mostly recorded in an old house believed to be haunted or something. Give It Away has a 'room' sound to the extreme - and the rest of the album feels the same. It really does sound like you can hear John absolutely slamming the strings. 

Absolutely beautiful recording work - despite the tone that many would argue sounds ver clangy.  

Quite a bit of the distortion that's very harsh is from a Fender H.O.T amp. Awful, horrid sounding box of bees. But in context, with Flea's basslines... Perfect. 
  • It's got more life in the sound than pretty much anything I've heard recorded with a Dumble :D
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4175
    I love it, but I'm a huge fan of JF's style so I'm pretty biased! :)
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I'm far from the biggest Chilis fan (I'll refrain from saying what I really think about them as I am in a total minority, and my opinion is pretty worthless) but I thought some of those tones were pretty good. Two things hit me most - I'm surprised how heavy/hard his right hand is, he sounds like he's really smacking the shit out of his strings, and it shows what a propulsive and interesting drummer Smith is - all those parts sounded so slow! 

Very interesting, thanks for the link!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4175
    ^ he's said in interviews before that he normally hits all of the strings when playing rythm, and mutes any that shouldn't be played using his left hand. It results in a really percussive sound that works brilliantly for this band.
  • No dramas. 

I love his hard hitting style, I've adopted it into my own playing. It comes with an advantange that you barely ever have to use the volume knob - just easing up on how hard you hit the strings gives you all of the dynamics you need.  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    He's up there with my top ten guitarists. Great stuff.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    His tehnique sounds very similar to mine - I tend to do all my muting with my left hand and just hit all strings hard, even in solos
    Stop crying, start buying
    Yeah, I didn't want to appear dismissive - I listened to it because I'm interested in mixing, and you don't learn anything by cutting your nose off to spite your face. Now, if it was a Joe B record, I probably wouldn't have clicked it... ;)

I do actually quite like Frusciante's playing. Not too precise for funk (which i respect but find it boring to listen to, tbh),  it's quite "sloppy" punk rock-y in feel. I think his "feel" comes across well in most things he plays, and he adheres to the golden rule of not playing loads when there's a lot of other shit going on (I'm looking at you, Flea). It also helps to give a great rhythmic feel to the scat-type vocals. 
  • JDE said:
    Yeah, I didn't want to appear dismissive - I listened to it because I'm interested in mixing, and you don't learn anything by cutting your nose off to spite your face. Now, if it was a Joe B record, I probably wouldn't have clicked it... ;)

I do actually quite like Frusciante's playing. Not too precise for funk (which i respect but find it boring to listen to, tbh),  it's quite "sloppy" punk rock-y in feel. I think his "feel" comes across well in most things he plays, and he adheres to the golden rule of not playing loads when there's a lot of other shit going on (I'm looking at you, Flea). It also helps to give a great rhythmic feel to the scat-type vocals. 

We can't all love the same stuff. 

It's very interesting though. I try to mute everything as I play with the left hand and sometimes use my right hand too. So everything I play is accompanied by a hit. 

I love the mixing. I love where the combination of distortion, slapback delay (double tracking possibly) and chorus makes that bright, fizzy, harsh, quite nasty sound (righteous and the wicked chorus is a good example of the distortion) and yet in the mix it's absolutely perfect. Just goes to show the value of note choice and play style. 

The solo tone in I could have lied proves, to me, the tones were intentional, because that's a wonderful solo tone. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016
    I think "ugly" strident tones are often the ones that sound best on a record. 

I dont think there is such a thing as good tone or bad tone tbh, its just a matter of personality. Every tone has its own character that may or may not support the emotion and feel of the song. 
    Agree with @hugbot - I don't really think there's such a thing as bad tone, but there's certainly badly recorded, badly mixed and poorly chosen tone. But it's obviously opinion and as with all performance and playing, it's a contextual thing. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    JDE said:

We can't all love the same stuff. 

It's very interesting though. I try to mute everything as I play with the left hand and sometimes use my right hand too. So everything I play is accompanied by a hit. 

I love the mixing. I love where the combination of distortion, slapback delay (double tracking possibly) and chorus makes that bright, fizzy, harsh, quite nasty sound (righteous and the wicked chorus is a good example of the distortion) and yet in the mix it's absolutely perfect. Just goes to show the value of note choice and play style. 

The solo tone in I could have lied proves, to me, the tones were intentional, because that's a wonderful solo tone. 
    You seem to be forgetting the brilliance of Rick Rubin too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Yup, RR's first of many with RHCP. The making of this album was the subject of one episode of 'Classic Albums' series. Not sure about the haunted bit but they hired a feck off house in LA to write and record the album. This catapulted them into mega stardom and the resulting world tour did for Frusciante who couldn't handle it and iirc began his descent into his class A years.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024