Fractal FX8 what's good and what's bad?

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited July 2016 in FX
So, whilst I'm am loving the helix, as a studio / practice tool, the quality of the FX and ease of modulating perameters and introduction of snapshots has got me thinking about replacing my board.

However, I don't want to keep having to remove the helix from my "studio" setup, so my eye is wandering to getting an FX 8, it seems the ideal board for a mfx without amp modelling. (yes, I am 100% aware of the 1st world nature of this problem)

So what's good about it, what's bad (I don't believe in the perfect product...)

Been adding up my remaining pedals, and I reckon shifting the lot would just about equal 2nd hand fx 8...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
     Why not get a second Helix? Now that they're in freer supply the used prices should start to drop.

I'm not knocking the FX8, but if you've found something you like and can work with, stick with it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    ^^ this.

No point deliberately getting something that isn't directly compatible with your studio rig (which you already know how to get the best from) if you don't have to, unless there's something specific that you need which the Helix can't provide. Also, a second Helix means you've got a backup.
    <space for hire>
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited July 2016
    What's Good ?

- Superior sounds to the Helix
    - Stunning delays and verbs
    - excellent used via computer
    - rock solid build quality
    - the best looper I've used
    - simple to use
    - very instinctive
    - unity volume instantly (it's best feature imho)
    - absolutely mind blowing in stereo with 2 amps

I'll shut up now... I could go on forever...

What's Bad

- more difficult to use 'leaned over on the floor'
    - can't save looper loops
    - drives needs a tad more tweaking

Quite simply, THE best music related purchase Ive ever made...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sporky said:
     Why not get a second Helix? Now that they're in freer supply the used prices should start to drop.

I'm not knocking the FX8, but if you've found something you like and can work with, stick with it.
    Because variety is the spice of life. No other reason.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    GAS strikes again. :)
    @Teetonetal - I get what you mean about the variety mate...

I've recently had the AX8 to go with the FX8, and I just cannot bring myself to choose between them. Both are stunning,
    with the AX8 requiring a bit more tweaking...
    edited July 2016
    ^^ this.

No point deliberately getting something that isn't directly compatible with your studio rig (which you already know how to get the best from) if you don't have to, unless there's something specific that you need which the Helix can't provide. Also, a second Helix means you've got a backup.
    Sassafras said:
    GAS strikes again.
    Yup. No question. This is all about GAS and nothing to do with musical practicality.
    Much as I like the helix, I really don't want two of them.

Actually, there is also a cost question. Right now in CH 2nd hand, the helix is holding it's price. FX8 is not.. about 250 less for an fx8
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    @Wazmeister - is it easy to run the AX8 as effects only? If you run it this way (effects only) does it do the magic "unity volume" thing as well as the FX8?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    What's Good ?

- Superior sounds to the Helix
    - Stunning delays and verbs
    - excellent used via computer
    - rock solid build quality
    - the best looper I've used
    - simple to use
    - very instinctive
    - unity volume instantly (it's best feature imho)
    - absolutely mind blowing in stereo with 2 amps

I'll shut up now... I could go on forever...

What's Bad

- more difficult to use 'leaned over on the floor'
    - can't save looper loops
    - drives needs a tad more tweaking

Quite simply, THE best music related purchase Ive ever made...
    About right.

I don't want to be able to save loops- but this is more a philosophical position about looping being a 'capturing moment in time'- I can see how people will want this.

One other thing is running out of CPU but if you remember to reduce reverb quality then it is a non issue.
    edited July 2016
    I must say, and I know that it can happen, but I've never run out of CPU on either models... @BintyTwanger77 - the AX8 is not instant unity; it needs setting, but that's not too hard. The FX seem to be the same quality...

The AX8 is SO versatile though; you can assign a switch to do ANYTHING, including hold, freeze etc etc and you can switch amps and cabs in and out.

I've currently got a Dumble (modelled) running into a real Rambler, and it sounds immense.

• I must say, and I know that it can happen, but I've never run out of CPU on either models... @BintyTwanger77 - the AX8 is not instant unity; it needs setting, but that's not too hard. The FX seem to be the same quality...

The AX8 is SO versatile though; you can assign a switch to do ANYTHING, including hold, freeze etc etc and you can switch amps and cabs in and out.

I've currently got a Dumble (modelled) running into a real Rambler, and it sounds immense.

Me?

• sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
    I have to say I have just sold my 3rd fx-8, the drives just wasn't up to it. After a few weeks of tweaking I just wasn't happy with them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I must say, and I know that it can happen, but I've never run out of CPU on either models... @BintyTwanger77 - the AX8 is not instant unity; it needs setting, but that's not too hard. The FX seem to be the same quality...

Me?

Welcome to the thread :astonished: 
    I have to say I have just sold my 3rd fx-8, the drives just wasn't up to it. After a few weeks of tweaking I just wasn't happy with them.
    Good to know - for this I dont need the drives to be good as my amp has lots of foot-switchable options... you can't insert a pedal right?

• sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
    Good to know - for this I dont need the drives to be good as my amp has lots of foot-switchable options... you can't insert a pedal right?

I would wait fir the new model also, I have a lot of problem with the cpu power, most of the time I was using reverb and it just didn't seem to have the power for it.

I would wait fir the new model also, I have a lot of problem with the cpu power, most of the time I was using reverb and it just didn't seem to have the power for it.

Does the new model have DSP upgrade? I thought not? 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I never had an issue with cpu on the fx8.   Only seems to happen for most people if you try to run reverb on the highest setting - way beyond what can be heard through a guitar amp.  

I I think the ax8 is slightly quicker to tweak with the dedicated preamp knobs.   It can be run as fx only and then be pretty much an fx8 with more options -   Eg use a preamp part of an amp model instead of a drive block.   

• I've just settled on this magnificent configuration and here I am, dragged into an FX8 thread. Dammit!

https://imgur.com/a/KeFlm
    clearly not enough delay options @BintyTwanger77 :)

I've decided against FX8 - I'm really happy with helix and if I ever did more gigs, I would look at putting that in my live rig instead..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom