Axe FX II vs. AX8 (apologies for another of these threads!)

FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
edited July 2016 in FX
So, I'm thinking of experimenting with the Axe Fx route and wondering whether to look at a secondhand Axe FX ii or whether to go AX 8.

The way that I want to use it is to take advantage of the Fx and cab modelling, with the option of having modelled amps.

I'm currently using Head - loadbox - UAD Apollo - Impulses - Monitors and will probably stick with that most of the time, only occasionally putting the Axe FX in the effects loop of my head. For this reason I've ruled out the FX8, great as it looks.

@Octatonic mind if I lean on you for your experience/views given that you've used the Axe quite a bit? If you've gotten bored of your Axe FX ii do you want to sell it me ;-)
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Mate, isn't there an Axe FX ii in the forum ?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    The AX8, I think, is available at the moment to buy from G66.... 

Ive had mine 3 weeks and it is suoeeb
  • Thanks Waz - I have spotted the Axe in the classifieds and will probably have a look at that.

A bit worried about buying really expensive digital gear 2nd hand though even if the seller has no bad intentions...hence considering the AX8 as at least I'd get some support on that.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I won't be selling my Axe II, or the FX8.
    They both do the job brilliantly.
    I could maybe get away with the AX8 in place of either of them, but it wouldn't work as well for me and the AX8 wasn't out when I bought them.
  • Thanks! @octatonic , appreciate it.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    The worst part about the AX8 is trying to find a bloody bag to carry it in :(
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Si_ said:
    The worst part about the AX8 is trying to find a bloody bag to carry it in :(
    I thought people on the forum were using a mono bag but I have mine sat on a pedal train 3.  It will fit on a jr, pt1 and pt2 as well depending what expression pedals you have added (I use an EB jr and EB vol).

So, I'm thinking of experimenting with the Axe Fx route and wondering whether to look at a secondhand Axe FX ii or whether to go AX 8.

The way that I want to use it is to take advantage of the Fx and cab modelling, with the option of having modelled amps.

I'm currently using Head - loadbox - UAD Apollo - Impulses - Monitors and will probably stick with that most of the time, only occasionally putting the Axe FX in the effects loop of my head. For this reason I've ruled out the FX8, great as it looks.

If you are using it with a head and load box then I can see it being handy to rack mount so taking advantage of a used axefx could be handy.     Otherwise the main difference is one amp on the ax8 vs two on the axefx but that doesn't sound like it would make much difference in your case so perhaps the easier editing on ax8 might make sense.   

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Put it on a Pedaltrain along with the expression pedals.
  • grammargrammar Frets: 27
    I've had both at the same time (full disclosure-it's my Axe in the classifieds). The correct choice is to buy both!

The Ax8 is more like the best little travel board rather than a replacement for it's big brother. I'd expect to add a Bigsky or M9 plus a few momentary switches. It was great but it couldn't run my full live preset and lag was an issue. 

The Axe2 will handily replace a full rig - rack, pedals, amp, everything. If you just want a bit of delay/verb it'll be massive overkill. It's more something you buy when you add up the alternatives and realise what you're planning will buy a small car lol

Either way I would be surprised if you kept your real amp once you get going with any of the newer modellers. Time to join the dark side :)