R.E.M. Sigh.

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1191
The beauty of some of the right notes in some of the right places. Reassuringly brilliant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Watching this next...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Love Country Feedback, such an awesome song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    R.E.M. = the original emo. 
    I think I'd rather stick my head in an oven than endure an entire R.E.M. record.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Funny thing is... plenty people think R.E.M. were one of the best bands ever. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    edited July 2016
    They were great in the eighties, pretty good in the nineties.  Really lost it in the noughties. IMHO.
    But GREAT in the eighties... and still pretty good in the nineties... and I don't think they ever sunk too low since... and had moments of greatness even then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Probably the best band of all time.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Stipe= charisma personified.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27082
    I miss REM a great deal. I was front row for them at Glastonbury in 2003 (right in front of Buck) and it was astonishing.  I really like a lot of their later output. Still haven't got myself a Ricky 360 but it's still on the list...

I've never quite "got" most of their work pre-Document if I'm honest.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited July 2016
    I'm also a bit unusual in that I actually like a lot of the late-period stuff more than some in the middle - in fact (despite Country Feedback) Out Of Time is probably my least favourite album, for me it's the closest they came to 'commercial sell-out' and I have to admit to losing interest a bit in them at the time - but it's all good really.

Peter Buck is one of my favourite players and one of the main reasons I play a Rickenbacker, although I'm not a gear-follower as such… I just have his sounds imprinted in my head.

And 'The One I Love' is still the greatest single rock guitar tone ever recorded. (Even though it's actually a Les Paul!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    They were my first ever gig ('89 Green tour), and seeing them play changed my life.  Totally.

The run of IRS albums from Murmur through to Document is untouchable, and I stayed with them all the way through til New Adventures in Hi-Fi.  They definitely lost something when Bill Berry left.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Up are my favourites, for totally different reasons. Very creative band.
    So top five favourite R.E.M. albums in order? :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    They passed me by except for the singles until I heard 'Up' which is a great piece of work. Stipe's (?) lyrics are especially evocative on this record, lots of cinematic imagery. He's a charismatic man with one of those ugly/beautiful faces born to front a RnR band.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Love them:

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    Life's Rich Pageant was the first CD I ever bought. I loved the early stuff up to Green and went to see them at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Green tour. I wasn't so keen on the mega successful middle era but I thought the last two LPs were really great. I last saw them at the Albert Hall when Accelerate came out and they were on fire live. Peter Buck is a great guitarist. I stood a few feet in front of him at the Waterfront in Norwich when he was in Robyn Hitchcock and The Venus 3.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    camf said:
    1 Fables Of The Reconstruction
    2 Murmur
    3 Life's Rich Pageant
    4 Reckoning
    5 =Green
    5 =Document

Folks always flag up Automatic For The People as their creative and commercial highpoint, but I find it a bit cloying.  I can't separate Green and Document even though they're both a bit lopsided...brilliant side one, patchier side two.  There's some amazing stuff on Fables that takes a few listens to bed in, but some of the album cuts on it are amongst the best things they ever recorded...Maps And Legends, Life And How To Live It, Kohoutek...all brilliant.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I was introduced to REM quite early: it would have been 1984 when I popped 'round to visit a friend and he had Murmur on the turntable. He must have just put the album on, so I arrived mid-way through Radio Free Europe. By the time Pilgrimage was over, I was a fan!

I think they were one of those few bands where something truly magical happened as a result of the right people coming together at the right time. Apart from Mike Mills, none of them were "technically great", yet they're all amongst my favourite musicians. I probably learnt more about playing guitar from listening to Peter Buck than anyone else. And yes, he's the reason I have a Rickenbacker.

My top four REM albums:
    Murmur
    Reckoning
    Fables Of The Reconstruction
    Life's Rich Pageant

For me, they became increasingly patchy after that, so I'll throw in the Chronic Town EP/mini LP, which is flawless.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27082
    I'm going to go ahead and be the "later period guy"

Automatic for the People
    Document
    Out of Time
    Accelerate
    Perfect Square (yeah, i know it's a live dvd, but it's everything I love about REM in a single disc)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    camf said:

Oooh, that's a tough one. I honestly can't think of a band with such a big back catalogue who have been so consistent in quality, yes even the later stuff has a lot of merit. They were a hugely important band for me when I was younger, I discovered them at Out of Time (but agree with @ICBM, probably one of my least favourite albums overall), worked backwards from there to discover their earlier stuff, and then kept up with them to the end.

I'd go:

Automatic for the People

Document

Life's Rich Pageant

New Adventures in Hi Fi

Green