Soul food

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
to the guys that have heard/own a Klon.......is it close?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Close enough!  Have a listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6wqvpB1M2U

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    It's no where near.

(in terms of price)

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

see.........I've got a Timmy at one end ( last in line of ODs) of my board for that nice clean, transparent volume boost

and I have a barber Gain changer on 1st.....so I can have my main OD (Minstrel pedal) either boosted with the Timmy or goosed a little from the GC in front......

I was just wonderin' if the Minstrel would benefit from being "goosed" a little by a OD808 (TS) or a SOUL FOOD job....?

I've had an 808 of course but never a Klon klone

tae be or not tae be
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Not sure if it answers your question but had a Soul Food and a Gain Changer at the same time... now just have the Gain Changer... 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    There are definitely better klones available. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    is the Tumnus good?
    tae be or not tae be
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    That Pedal Show always seem to rave about the Tumnus
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Adam_MD said:
    Being a soul food owner, I'm interested to know in what ways are other klones better? Do they sound more like a klon than the Soul Food?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Maynehead said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Being a soul food owner, I'm interested to know in what ways are other klones better? Do they sound more like a klon than the Soul Food?

I've never played a klon just klones.  The soul food was a lot hasher than my Juan solo Klone though.  John's built quite a lot of klones and back to backed some with a real gold klon so I'm assuming mine is fairly accurate.  
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It does get harsh if you turn up the gain without reducing the treble. The gain and treble are very interactive on the soul food and you should adjust both to get a nice tone.

If the numerous comparison vids are to be believed the soul food seems almost identical to the real thing. Maybe there are klones out there that actually sound better than the klon?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2016
    Maynehead said:

Maybe there are klones out there that actually sound better than the klon?
    Well I've tried a Klon and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

I don't know if they're all different or something, but the one I tried was quite nice as a clean boost and pretty rubbish as an actual overdrive. To my ears at least.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Are they any different to most overdrives in that they work better with some amps and pickups than others?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2016
    Sassafras said:
    Are they any different to most overdrives in that they work better with some amps and pickups than others?
    The Klon? I can't remember what I tried it with, but possibly. I didn't try it with a Marshall MG and a B.C. Rich Warlock though, I can assure you :D I think it may have been through a Dumble-inspired amp with a Strat, but I could be remembering wrong.

It was the kind of gear you'd imagine might complement such a pedal, and it did sound pretty nice as a clean boost - fattened up the clean signal nicely and added some nice compression and sparkle, but the higher up the gain went the less convincing it was. The gain doesn't go up very far anyway, even maxed out it's like a Tube Screamer with the gain at about 3. It just sounded a bit fizzy and like the wrong sort of clipping was going on. Definitely not comfortable being an overdrive.

My dad has a Rockett Archer which is similar. Not my thing... I'm not a gain freak but I like an overdrive to have a bit more on tap.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Great boost for dirty amps or dirt pedal - maybe designed specifically for that. Standalone dirt's not really it's thing.
    Soul Foods ok within limits, cheap enough to try & flip, I even made a whole quid profit. Got two klon pcbs to build up now.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I found the Soul Food very hard to get right in the band mix without a very harsh tone.  Maybe it needed to be going into something more overdriven than I typically use but it didn't do much for me through my Laney or a rehearsal room Marshall. 
    The YouTube stuff I've seen seems to suggest you have to dial them all in differently to then get the same sound so the Soul Food needs experimenting with.  People seem to really like the Tumnus but it isn't,  apparently,  the most accurate Klone -  just has some of the fatness the others are missing.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    I got offered a real Klon in a trade (value a the the time was circa £700) which I tried, and frankly I didn't get the hype. It's a nice clean boost and to add a bit of hair, but nothing more. I declined the trade.

I own a Soul Food. It cost me £35. Does the same thing, not identically, but is it close? Yes. Is it worth £35? Yes.

I wouldn't pay more than £100 for a real Klon, let alone the figures they're advertised as these days. You're paying for hype like Dumble and Trainwreck, nothing more. There are better choices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    *shrug* I love my Soul Food. No need for a Klon IMO. I use it as a boost, mostly. It's a very transparent tone. Works really beautifully with my Std Tele in front of my Jet City head. Also sounded great when I tried it with a humbucker loaded Tele Deluxe through a Fender Hot Rod amp. 

If I need the dirt, I got a Way Huge Green Rhino. Axed the Bad Monkey. The Soul Food/Green Rhino combo is one I'm gonna be holding down for some time to come. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I have a Klon KTR, which it's taken me a long time to love.

I think they have two uses, firstly as a clean boost and secondly as a TS style overdrive with a little more glass and a less obvious mid-hump

I really enjoy the pedal, and I like it a lot - is it really worth the money? Probably not - my ThorpyFX gunshot has more versatility for about the same money.

I'm on the waiting list for a King of Tone to replace the one my ex made me sell. When it turns up, I'm not sure if the Klon will stay
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I haven't tried a Klon but I A/B-ed my Soul Food with a friend's J Rockett Archer. The Archer was smoother, the Soul Food's overdrive, in isolation, is a little more harsh.

But then I don't use it in isolation. For fattening up an already crunchy sound, it's really nice, regardless of price, I think.