Good valve amp techs?

fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
edited August 2013 in Amps
Anyone know a good valve amp tech in the Salisbury Wiltshire area?

I have an old SJB Audio Hornet that was a combo but has been built into a tweed head with reverb, but the reverb doesn't work. I've tried changing the valves and I would swap the phono cable for a new one but while it's got normal phono plugs at the tank end, the wires disappear into the guts of the amp at the other end. It's not the tank itself that's gone as I've plugged the phonos from my old Laney LC15R into the SJB tank and it works then.

Cheers.
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Hang on... the reverb on your SJB doesn't work. So you plug the send/return phono leads from the SJB amp into the Laney's tank and you get reverb. Surely that points to the SJB's tank being faulty?

If that is the case, it should be easily fixed. Just get a replacement tank with the same code and the most complicated tool you'll need is a screwdriver.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Hang on... the reverb on your SJB doesn't work. So you plug the send/return phono leads from the SJB amp into the Laney's tank and you get reverb. Surely that points to the SJB's tank being faulty?

If that is the case, it should be easily fixed. Just get a replacement tank with the same code and the most complicated tool you'll need is a screwdriver.

+1

• There's a chap called Mel Scarr (IIRC) in or near Andover who did some good work on my T'n'B50SV a few years ago ... just in case you find you do need an amp tech.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited August 2013

Oops, I got that the wrong way round - meant to say that the SJB tank worked when I plugged the Laney phonos into it! Thanks fellas, I've now edited the first post.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/