Bare knuckle pup i.d question?!

What's Hot
Hi all,
quick one here. I've a set of BKP in a strat (not sure which ones) but they measure
5.7K both neck and middle and 6.07k for the bridge.

I have scoured the BKP site to try and find some gen but there's like 100's of pages ;)

ANybody any idea what they might be?
Im guessing either the Mark knopfler Sultans set or the Apaches??

Thanks guys!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2016
    or Mothers Milk...identifyingwhich, I would suggest, is virtually impossible.....if you like the sound, does it matter?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    For pickups at that price I think it's ridiculous that they don't label them in some way. I've scratched info on the base of some of mine, which I think is a pretty pathetic thing to have to do.

You could try emailing them? 
  • FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    It is very annoying that they don't label their pups! Sultans seem most likely in your case. But, due to them being hand wound, DC resistances can vary quite a bit, so it's impossible to know for sure, unless you know their serial number. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    FRockStar said:
    It is very annoying that they don't label their pups! Sultans seem most likely in your case. But, due to them being hand wound, DC resistances can vary quite a bit, so it's impossible to know for sure, unless you know their serial number. 
    Sounds like a bit of a con calling them all these fancy names then! I definitely think there's a bit of 'emperors new clothes' about the replacement pickup market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You could be right there Axisus, but they do sound great.
    Could be the placebo effect alright but it is a joke that they dont write on them or something.
    5 seconds with a pen would solve a lot of issues for all future owners.
    paulnb57 thats well and good if i like them but its a pain the hole if i go to sell the guitar. 
    Its about my 5th encounter with BKP and they are nice though.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    FRockStar said:
    Sounds like a bit of a con calling them all these fancy names then! I definitely think there's a bit of 'emperors new clothes' about the replacement pickup market.
    In BK's defense, DCR is no measure of output or tone, and the machines they are wound on will have an auto shut-off for turn count (even though the wire may be hand guided). As I have labored to point out many times it's turn count that matters not DCR, so their model pickups will always sound similar and have similar 'true output' as the turn count will be consistent. The small DCR inconsistencies will be due to the varying winding tension that comes from hand guiding, and a small stretching effect on the wire which makes its true gauge vary.
    I agree however its very annoying that they don't mark the pickups, as I've had to rewind a couple for customers who were not sure what they had!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    IP protection? Whilst you can reverse engineeri, you don't necessarily know what you are reverse engineering
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom