Who's your favourite painter?

What's Hot

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Banksy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7834
    ESBlonde said:
    Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse, they were working as painters when they started writing comody.

*sigh*

everyone's a comodian.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I do like a bit of Francis Bacon, he's the geez I was thinking about who did the contorted dummies.  No idea who the other fella was though.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    [IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/28lccx1.jpg[/IMG] See if that works, bastard photobucket not working. Anyway, Percy Shakespeare as mentioned somewhere above. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11961
    A really nice Polish chap down the road, £12 an hour
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    I like Hieronymus Bosch paintings, quite surreal indeed.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11961
    edited July 2016
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16752
    when I was teaching one of my students was doing some wonderful art deco studies

he did me a great interpretation of this - same size as the original.... she is fairly imposing

Dads a painter too, and he did me a version of Hoppers nighthawks.

okay, My big art is all copies, ahem "reinterpretations", of more famous work, but I prefer that to prints
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    edited July 2016
    WezV said:
    when I was teaching one of my students was doing some wonderful art deco studies

he did me a great interpretation of this - same size as the original.... she is fairly imposing

Tamara De Lempicka. I saw an exhibition of her work earlier this year. Strange woman, her early stuff is great, stylised deco. Then she married into monied society and hung out in Hollywood and later NY and started to paint quite dreary still life's. Actually that one's quite good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I guess I should also mention Mucha, since I have a bunch of stylised lilies tattooed down my arm.

I remember looking at a Constable as a child and thinking how pointless photorealistic paintings were once photography existed.... Probably helped that me pa spent all my childhood painting stormy landscapes with purple skies.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

When I took up painting, I thought Picasso was pish - just badly painted nonsense designed to wow art luvvies and extract lots of cash from them.  I suspect it maybe was anyway, but found The Muse when I was leafing through a book of his works...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/Nomad_Zamani/Paintings/The Muse_zps2mauap1p.jpg

...and liked it. I think it changed my perspective on what was and wasn't valid in terms of art. Later, I had a go at painting in a similar style...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/Nomad_Zamani/Paintings/Picasso Style Portrait_zpsxkho8ks5.jpg

Done on a big canvas with long brushes held at arm's length.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

That's the thing with art... What does "like" or "favourite" mean?

my first experience of Picasso was a washed out print in the English teachers classroom. I thought it was massively ugly at the time.... But I remember the picture, and how it made me feel, with total clarity 25 years later. More than ugliness, I remember how it caught my interest.

now I actually get Picasso, he caught my attention more than any other artist when I was in my teens, I grew to love the style.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6147
    edited July 2016
    Ivan Shiskin

This picture by him called 'Winter'  was painted in 1890!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited July 2016

I find it's a bit like music. I'm not especially a fan of any band or musician, but there are lots of individual pieces that I really like, and there are some bands where I like quite a lot of their stuff, but not all of it.

With painting, when I had just got started with it more seriously, I sat down one day to write down my thoughts on 'art'. Although I wasn't fully conscious of it at the time, I had an agenda, which was to slag off modern art like Picasso. I got about a paragraph in, and then started leafing through the book of his works (probably looking for ammunition), and found that I kept looking at The Muse. Like you say, it just caught my interest.

At that point, I stopped and asked myself what paintings are for - how are they experienced in day to day life? My answer was that they're just blobs of colour that hang on the wall and mostly get ignored. 95% of the time, we walk past them with other things on our minds, aware of little more than the colours and shapes in our peripheral vision. Sometimes, we stop and look at them, appreciate them, maybe wonder what led the artist to create that particular arrangement of colour and shape. I never wrote another word in my little treatise on the subject.

Although I'm not especially a fan of Picasso, it was a real watershed moment for me as a painter. Anything can be valid - it's down to what the viewer feels about it.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    Jackson Pollack is another painter whose work is much more impressive when seen in person.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I regret to say I know fuck all about art and painters, but I have been scrolling through these and have been amazed by a fair few of them. Saved them to my wallpapers folder which my computer cycles through every 15 minutes, so I shall be seeing some of these again :D 
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2016

Rolf harris.

Can you guess what it is yet?7

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

I like the Surrealists'

Love Henri Rousseau. Image result for henri rousseau

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782