How do you hold the pick?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Like this

My finger behind the pick would look like this, it's straight rather than curled back toward the palm, not sure if this is Orthodox

Sometimes when 16th strumming I default to this, this is unadvisable, I know.

Conclusion: I can do Bunny Shadows, I couldn't be arsed to get the guitar out and yes, I should stop biting my nails.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    My pick holding has been on my mind alot lately so its good to read this to help me realize:

A) Its not to late to change
    B) Better ways of holding

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    This is my most commonly-used technique for rhythm and lead, which is the way I was taught was most efficient for alternate picking.

This one is useful for economy picking, allows the hand to move faster and more fluently when crossing strings quickly:

This is what I use for sweeping - allows me to easily adjust the angle of the pick depending on whether I'm going up or down.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'm the same as @bellycaster  with the addition of curling my entire fist behind my forefinger to provide support for faster playing, whilst completely relaxing my entire hand for rhythm. it's a veritable finger flapping fest :D I leave barely any pick area exposed, it's super quick and super easy just to twist my wrist as I pick to create a harmonic. Probably the thing I do best actually, shame i'm bloody useless at finding tracks I want to learn with them in, and never really improvise with them...
    Having so little pick exposed means it's difficult to use anything other than Jazz III's. I am thinking about getting a couple of Hufschmid and Winspear picks though :D 
    Gonna try that EVH style hold though, I can't tap for Sh*t.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Here are a couple of Techniques you may want to try too... I apply these and teach them as they provide massive flexibility and good tone...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>