New amp advice required...

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4735
edited July 2016 in Amps
I've got a 65 PRRI (currently in the classifieds) which is a marvellous thing but, ultimately, is a bit too clean, even wound up.
I've tried a DS-1, OD-3, Keeley BD-2, Carl Martin Blue Ranger, Digitech Screaming Blues and, finally, a Darkglass Vintage Micro Tubes and none of them really do what I want, so I'm beginning to think I don't really know what sound I'm after.

I have a THR10C which I always use on the highest gain setting, with a lot of gain and I have to say to my ears that it sounds more organic than the PRRI with any pedal.

I have considered the Blues Cube Hot - probably the same issues as the Princeton - and I'm going to try the Vox AV30 or AV60 at some point, having been impressed by the Andertons review where, funnily enough, I liked the Marshall/AC30 tones best.

There's a Carr Mercury 112 at Coda that is interesting too.  I'm not wedded to valves  and am a firm believer in progress.

To summarise, I need (want) an amp which gives nice distortion at low levels and works for blues - anywhere from BB to Gary Moore via Cream era EC.  Guitars are an LP Standard with burstbuckers and a Strat with Texas Specials, and taking a back seat, a Squier Mustang with some fancy Seymour Duncans and a Squier MP Jaguar with P90s.  I only play at home too.

Of all of them, the P90 Jaguar sounds best wound up so that gives you a clue where I'm heading.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    have you tried the new bassbreaker amps? the little one could fit the bill. not that expensive either! 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I never got convincing gain sounds out of a Princeton either, at least not above living room volume, even through a closed-back cab. 
    The nearest was with a Nobels ODR-1, but in the end I gave up and bought a Jet City Custom 22.
    With a good reverb in the loop it covers the Princeton territory pretty well too.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    I get some brilliant sounds out of my MJW roadstar 18 at house volumes. 
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I sometimes use a little VHT Special 6 at home with pedals, lovely cleans and takes all my dirt pedals like a champ. I also use a tweaker 15 at home, great dirt at low volumes, loves my LP Junior p90. Both amps are dirt cheap and sound a lot more expensive IMHO
  • CyberlawyerCyberlawyer Frets: 116
    For me the best amp I have ever had for playing at indoors volume is my Mesa 5:25 Express 1×10 combo. Does everything from pristine clean to scooped metal. It's also pretty small and portable and it's even pretty gigable unless you play larger venues.

The best bit is now they are discontinued they are cheep as chips. I saw one the other day for £600. Kicking myself for not getting a second one. Only downside is they need a really quiet tube in the first preamp slot or can hiss a bit at the really high gain settings.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have HT-1 and its quite good. Much better sound through 112 or 212 though
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3181
    tFB Trader
    WAIT! WHAT?!

Take one PR on volume 1-2, add an OKKO Diablo OD pedal and some 'verb and you can get the most glorious OD tones for Blues at home levels. It's sickening how good it is.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    ZVex Nano Head is hard to beat at home levels.
    Fender sparkle through to Marshall grind into whatever cab you like.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    Seems like more experimentation is required.  I feel sure that this can work and I absolutely love the clean tones of the amp - with a single coil Jaguar as ice-picky as possibly, its utterly brilliant.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Think I prefer the round plum drop clean pick attack compared to ice pick
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Evil Robot might float your boat!!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6221
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    ZVex Nano Head is hard to beat at home levels.
    Fender sparkle through to Marshall grind into whatever cab you like.
    agreed, i am selling one too in mint cond
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    The Traynor Guitar Mate YGM-3 does a great early EC tone.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    /\ I had one of those. It was a really nice sounding amp. Still bloody loud for home use though. /\