Service sector economy has collapsed since Brexit

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11948
    ThorpyFX said:
    I've harped on about the huge debts of the southern Eurozone countries

read this IMF report on how stupid the IMF were in allowing the EU to use IMF cash  beyond planned limits to save the Euro

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/28/imf-admits-disastrous-love-affair-with-euro-apologises-for-the-i/

but we have never been in the eurozone......
    I didn't say we were,
    I  harped on about us probably being compelled to join it if we stayed in the EU, and I think it's even more likely that we'd be  compelled to take part in the  future bailouts. Even if I am wrong, this is a huge weight of debt that will depress the EU economy

I posted the story since it's interesting, and surprising that the IMF are confessing to it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oaf said:
    I have come to the conclusion there are two types of people.

Those who dont like change, and are depressed/pessimistic because its happening (and mostly due to how its affecting them specifically, though you cant blame them for those concerns)  - and those who are open to change, evolution and new possibilities who are now optimistic what the med to long term future will bring.

It looks like people who are the most socially conservative, most "traditional" and arguably less likely to embrace change, were most likely to vote to leave the EU.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

There was a feature on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago, I think it may have been on "Thinking Allowed", which said that social attitudes and how liberal someone is was a very strong indicator of how they voted - people were surveyed after the vote and also asked HOW they voted: those with less liberal views voted leave (I think with a 70% confidence) and this was a stronger indicator than any of wealth/education/age (though likely vote choice could be drawn from those too, with a lower confidence).

This is probably the most depressing one though:

The less informed the more likely to vote leave? (And maybe more likely to be influenced by press, dodgy political broadcasts, etc?)
    those stats are capable of producing many strange interpretations, I had a  bit of a look at the report -  the most amusing thing I could "prove" was that long-term mentally ill people are 73% likely to say that Capitalism has an "ill" effect on the world
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    ooh, it has now uncollapsed, once everyone  got tired of panicking  
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37274279

Life goes on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol
    Use Your Brian
  • ooh, it has now uncollapsed, once everyone  got tired of panicking  

Life goes on
    ""Just as the July survey probably overstated the economy's underlying weakness, the August survey probably overstates its subsequent recovery," said Scott Bowman, UK economist at Capital Economics."

Or is he one of those experts we shouldn't listen to? 

The ambiguous world of economics after an ambiguous referendum. I like treacle, I do. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ooh, it has now uncollapsed, once everyone  got tired of panicking  

Life goes on
    ""Just as the July survey probably overstated the economy's underlying weakness, the August survey probably overstates its subsequent recovery," said Scott Bowman, UK economist at Capital Economics."

Or is he one of those experts we shouldn't listen to? 

The ambiguous world of economics after an ambiguous referendum. I like treacle, I do. 
    the first few posts were guessing 5-10 years to remedy this "collapse"
  • the first few posts were guessing 5-10 years to remedy this "collapse"
    Erm.. .relevance to what I said? After prodding with a relevance-o-meter, apparently none. 

• the first few posts were guessing 5-10 years to remedy this "collapse"
    Erm.. .relevance to what I said? After prodding with a relevance-o-meter, apparently none. 

my implication was that it was a blip caused by people panicking, and  normal service was resumed, as I expected. i.e. no real change,  the measure was  not indicative of a  permanent change
    your point seems to be much the same

However, early posters were convinced it was proof that the sky was falling down

• However, early posters were convinced it was proof that the sky was falling down
    The initial poster dropped up a link stating that things were on the downturn. The next chap talked about tampons. By the end of the first page, TTony's posts were gaining the most approval. I know that this doesn't fall into your world view of how every Remainer was a Cameron-fellating prophet of doom but let's have a bit of perspective on this. Most of the Remainers in this forum didn't back DC, viewed him as being a lying twat (lying in a different manner to the other side), and didn't think that the economic apocalypse was occur if the Leave vote won. 

• Still zero EU universities in world top 20:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37419263

4 UK Unis, Oxford now #1

I'm quite optimistic about the UK
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I was at a business breakfast meeting this morning with some pretty large businesses (plane and satellite builders that sort of thing). And guess what? Lots of big EU firms want to invest in the UK post-Brexit as we'll be theoretically outside a lot of the EU red tape and rules and will potentially have tariff free access to far more countries than the EU. We also have lower tax rates.

There is a fear within the EU hierarchy that we just jump ship with no trade deal and open up as a tariff free trading centre. If we can get tariff free deals with other major countries the UK will become a go to place for some big companies. This is partly why the eastern bloc countries are worried. Big German firms may switch investment away from them and into the UK to get access to the rest of the world. In 30 odd years the EU has failed to do a trade deal with anyone. I'd never considered that.

Interesting.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom