NPD - overdrive with a difference

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
I received a FANTASTIC overdrive pedal from @juansolo the other day. 

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8306/28370158212_1640fb005e_b.jpg

it's the blue monster in the top right hand corner. It's wonderful - a dual band CMOS overdrive.

Into a solid state Peavey Bandit, I dialled it with a less loud, more driven bottom end and a clearer, less distorted top end to get a ringing complex chord overdrive that doesn't mush out but has a great 'whump' behind it. Great for rhythm into a balanced sounding amp with a strong bass end. 

Into the AC15 it's strengths lay elsewhere - it makes a great treble booster and the tone lends itself to a cool lead tone with LOADS of cut - better loud than bedroom playing. 

This means it sits alongside my DF-2 - into the AC15, the DF-2 is like a 'more' pedal - it gives a lvoely, responsive, warm overdrive that makes it sound bigger than it is.  But for a focused but dynamic lead tone, the blue monster stacks into it great. 

Put the SHO into it and it's a huge, warm, fat 80's crunch you wouldn't have thought an AC15 could do full stop, let alone less than ear splitting volume. LOADS of boost on tap, too, so treble boosting abilities are present and correct. 

Very versatile. Thank you, DIY scene :D
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    What's the Calvin pedal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanR said:
    What's the Calvin pedal?

A juansolo multi. It's a jumbo tonebender on the right, a full fat ultrastoner in the middle (with filter switch and led, germanium and silicon clipping options) and a super hard on type boost at the end. 

Basically my box of fun. :) Like all muffs, it works best when loud!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    That sounds ace.