Amp's Scooped Tones?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
As I've been looking for which beauty to add to my amp collection later this year, I keep reading about Fenders and Vox and a whole load of others as I'm undecided. I read a lot of people(not on here) describe Fender and Vox as having Scooped Tones.

I would never have said that, but maybe I don't understand properly, I always thought "Chimey" and "Sparkly" where the main adjectives used  :)

If I scoop the mids on my amps, they don't sound very Voxy or Fendery, so what's it all about with the Scooped tones?

Is it down to Output Valves? Fenders tend to use 6L6 and Vox tend to use EL 84.

Explain?

Cheers.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited July 2016
    Scoop -> Ice Cream -> Ben & Jerry -> Tom & Jerry -> Tom Tom The Piper's Son -> Piper At the Gates of Dawn -> Pink Floyd -> Dave Gilmour -> Fenderrrrrrrrrr. Simples. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    I dunno if I'd call voxes scooped

and it tends to be blackface fenders which are scooped, I think

others will know more than me, though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Blackface/Silverface Fenders are fairly scooped. Tweed Fenders and Voxes definitely aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think the reason Fenders are Vox amps sound the way they do, and have a scooped EQ, is to do with the specific EQ frequencies that are scooped.  Your amp probably isn't scooping out the right EQ to make it sound Fender or Vox.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    I think the reason Fenders are Vox amps sound the way they do, and have a scooped EQ, is to do with the specific EQ frequencies that are scooped.  Your amp probably isn't scooping out the right EQ to make it sound Fender or Vox.

Probably a bad explanation by me in the O.P @bingefeller ;

I don't want to scoop my tone, I like Mids, I'm just confused at why some people state that Fender and Vox have "Scooped" tones. Maybe it's my lack of experience in how amps perform live with cutting through the mix.

The "If I scoop the mids my Amp" was just a statement of comparison.

I think I just twigged there, are these people on about how amps cut through live? My Amps don't let me down with mids live, I'm running a Mesa with 6L6's, it's great live, so is my Bogner running 6V6's.

I guess I'm just confused with the generalization.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I definitely don't find vox amps scooped - they're bright and have an upper midrangey sound, not huge on a whumpy bottom end. 

Fender blackface amps have a huge bass, bright treble and not much else. Lovely for bouncy cleans. 
    ICBM said:
    Blackface/Silverface Fenders are fairly scooped. Tweed Fenders and Voxes definitely aren't.
    yeah that's what i thought
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    To be super-accurate pedantic :), no guitar amps are really that scooped - and especially not open-back combos. None of them have any real top-end response, and very few other than those with heavily-built closed cabs any true bass.

The differences are more that some are *all* midrange, and others have a sort of double-hump EQ curve with more lower and upper mids than mid-mids - the Fender Blackface EQ is a perfect example of the latter and was deliberately designed with a heavy mid cut to make the amps sound as 'flat response' as possible given the severe limitations of the speakers and combo cabinets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    haha yeah i guess that makes sense. :D