One social club moves with the times

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419

We did our first digital desk and PA install for a working mans club last week. This is the first time a club has spec'ed an iPad controllable desk. Cowplain Social club now has an Allen & Heath QU16 in the big hall along with an EV bins and tops system for stage and a further 2 sets of smaller EV speakers spaced apart further down the hall so people at the middle and back can hear properly without deafening the people at the front. All 3 PA's are controlled independently volume wise 

So if you gig Portsmouth and that club take your iPad, router is fixed above stage so your good to go. Once happy save your showfile for next time. I gigged it last night, awesome,  only wish all clubs would follow suit 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    That sound like a great setup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Cowplain? Not where I would have expected the vanguard of the white heat of technology to exist, but the world is full of surprises!

(My in-laws live in Denmead :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    edited July 2016
    Used to live in W/ville and used to rehearse at Complain  club a few years ago! Denmead used to be a nice quiet village in those days
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    I live in Crookhorn which is basically Waterlooville, 2 miles from Denmead. We are lucky live music is so popular here. There's about 11 pubs I can gig within 5 miles of my house :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28405
    I always liked A&H and Yamaha stuff when I had to spec a desk into an AV system. They had good manuals and helpful people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    Whats the password for the router .... let everyone have it and gigs should be great fun!!!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whats the password for the router .... let everyone have it and gigs should be great fun!!!
    Lol, yeah not a good idea

We hide the router in the wireless sense, if you look on your phone \ iPad under wireless you won't see it. You have to select other network and type in the name of the router, then the security type and then the password so anyone trying to join will need to know all three things before they could join it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Heres hoping!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    It would be quite cool if you could have a system which allowed them to join with limited access, and averaged the audience inputs for a range of simple parameters, like volume for each instrument - within preset limits to stop feedback etc - I'd take a bet that the resulting mix would be a lot better than what you get from some supposedly professional soundmen...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    It would be quite cool if you could have a system which allowed them to join with limited access, and averaged the audience inputs for a range of simple parameters, like volume for each instrument - within preset limits to stop feedback etc - I'd take a bet that the resulting mix would be a lot better than what you get from some supposedly professional soundmen...
    That's exactly what you can do. The QU series of mixers have 3 profiles, "Admin" which is total control, "Standard" which is control of faders, processing etc but locked out of setup functions and "Basic" which is control of faders and mutes only 

It's a bit of a learning curve to be honest learning all this stuff because every desk is different with no standard operating system .... It remains to be seen if they can load the bingo scene I make them :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

That's exactly what you can do. The QU series of mixers have 3 profiles, "Admin" which is total control, "Standard" which is control of faders, processing etc but locked out of setup functions and "Basic" which is control of faders and mutes only
    … listening back to the recording of the gig, Mike notices that his guitar isn't audible in the mix at all. "Hey! What happened to my solo?" Rod brings up the control log and says "Sorry - it looks like three out of the five punters used their mute button for your amp feed, so you got, er… muted."

ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

… listening back to the recording of the gig, Mike notices that his guitar isn't audible in the mix at all. "Hey! What happened to my solo?" Rod brings up the control log and says "Sorry - it looks like three out of the five punters used their mute button for your amp feed, so you got, er… muted."
    I wonder if in the not to distant future some artistes don't adopt this as an idea, if you combine it with a silent disco approach. Then you allow the "mixer" to download and release his/her mix of the gig and ho hum the lawyers are going to make a bit of money! This is the bit of technology that frightens me on two points one is losing control of my mix and the second is someone might do a better job!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk