Give me your feedback please! **New Video**

What's Hot
Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
edited July 2016 in Live
Now then,

Starting a new venture (country band) and did a quick recording at rehearsal between me and the singer.

It's a bit rough around the edges - was a one take affair in the last 5 minutes.

Take a look and let me know what you think - I'm going to also upload full band video v shortly too.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Love that song - and you guys did a very nice cover.  Your playing was effective, with good atmospheric tone, that did not overpower the vocals, giving space and mixing well.  Your singer (is that Dori?) has a lovely voice, but I just wondered if she might be struggling a little with the key as she appeared to be straining a little in the higher register eg. at around 1:30 and similar sections?   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    OK I will.

Now, Panama Jack is a real cool cat....
    Lives on top of Manhatten Chase

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Cheers @Voxman ! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and offer feedback. Any positive or negative feedback is welcomed. I'm going to look at transcribing it to a lower key to try at rehearsal. Will report back. Got a second video up now which is the full band.
  • Gassage said:
    OK I will.

Now, Panama Jack is a real cool cat....
    Lives on top of Manhatten Chase
    ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Voxman said:
    Love that song - and you guys did a very nice cover.  Your playing was effective, with good atmospheric tone, that did not overpower the vocals, giving space and mixing well.  Your singer (is that Dori?) has a lovely voice, but I just wondered if she might be struggling a little with the key as she appeared to be straining a little in the higher register eg. at around 1:30 and similar sections?   
    It is a very difficult song to sing, although I've heard a lot worse. I'm sure okay in the context of a gig and I'd agree on the above re the guitar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cheers for the guitar compliments. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Tele straight into a Princeton.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Good stuff. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Good stuff. 
    Cheers @viz ;

I hope you're well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    It's great to have a female singer. So great, we got two lol (actually three as our rhythm guitarist is singing now, too!).

Very cool - that's the sh!t man - thanks for uploading.
    Singer seemed to cope better with the second song - maybe because there's less focus on the the vox due to the whole band playing?  It was good, though. Did you make up that solo yourself in the second video off te cuff? Pretty cool, regardless! 

I'd say don't ditch "Crazy" or anything - but keep working on it. Could you do the odd harmony? 
    The guitar on Crazy was good - well played and sounded good. 
  • It's great to have a female singer. So great, we got two lol (actually three as our rhythm guitarist is singing now, too!).

Very cool - that's the sh!t man - thanks for uploading.
    Singer seemed to cope better with the second song - maybe because there's less focus on the the vox due to the whole band playing?  It was good, though. Did you make up that solo yourself in the second video off te cuff? Pretty cool, regardless! 

I'd say don't ditch "Crazy" or anything - but keep working on it. Could you do the odd harmony? 
    Cheers, Tommy! Thanks for listening!

Yeah, made up the solo. I'm new to all the country stuff so I essentially just ripped loads of other people off and used some pretty cliche'd licks but for the purpose of blagging pub gigs, it'll do whilst I get better!

Steep learning curve though. I'm playing pedal steel licks on one song and fast country stuff on the next! It's a broad spectrum!

I do harmonies on most other songs so will see if I can add something to it. I like that idea! Put our own spin on it.

Not sure if the band are playing that too or just if it's me and Dori. But that may also change the dynamic a bit.

Got plans to set up some cameras on Wednesday and record more of the rehearsal. If we get something that sounds good, I'll upload more. Will get the bass player in shot (with his double bass!)
    Woah sounds interesting! It's always great to see actual vids/clips of folk on here playing!
    Yeah defo your own harmonies... I'll be doing that at some point, which will be a laugh lol.

Yeah man, the more vids the better! I recorded our entire last gig but sound isn't great - maybe I'll put some of that up.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    Just watched both. I though the vocals were maybe a smidge shaky on Crazy, but pitch and timing is pretty much there so the rest is just confidence and remembering to breathe deeply and in the right places. Guitar playing great throughout. 

The full-band was really good, and considerably better than a lot of bands I've seen playing and getting paid for it. Good stuff!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Not my sort of thing but nice playing mate. 

Cheers!
    edited July 2016
    Cheers @Voxman ! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and offer feedback. Any positive or negative feedback is welcomed. I'm going to look at transcribing it to a lower key to try at rehearsal. Will report back. Got a second video up now which is the full band.
    Yeeha!! Just had a listen & that rocked along very nicely.  Loved the rockabilly feel, good timing, nice steady drum beat, solid bass, and a very good lead solo, which reminded me a little of players like the late, great Luther Perkins and Scotty Moore (the latter who sadly died last month). Dori sounded great too - and she seemed much more comfortable with this song.   

Telecasters are just brilliant for that classic country/rockabilly twang!  It's funny but although I've been playing more years than I care to remember, it's only around 5 years ago that I discovered the charms of a Telecaster and bought myself a 1988 Telecaster USA Standard.  Although I currently play classic rock & blues in a cover band, I have quite an eclectic taste and play (well, at least attempt to play!) quite a wide range of different styles inc rock, blues, jazz, slide, funk, acoustic, folk, pop, etc and I have even been known to play a little bit of country too - enough to appreciate that some of the most talented guitarists around are country players.    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited July 2016
    Cheers @Deijavoo!

Cheers @Voxman!

I love Scotty Moore! I went to Memphis last year, did Graceland (along with the rest of the tourist trail stuff). It was good to see lots of reference to Scotty everywhere! I believe there was some graffiti on the wall in the Gibson factory that said "I wish I was as cool as Scotty Moore" (or something like that) to which he had replied "Thanks!" with a permanent marker when he had been to visit. It was just next to his signature Gibson on the long corridor.

Scotty is ace. Such a melodic player. I wish I had half of his talent!

It's given me a real boost having the comments about my playing on here. It wasn't the original reason for posting the videos, I was just looking at getting some confirmation we're not terrible. Playing country is completely new for me so it's made me feel much more confident about what I'm doing. We've got some Rockabilly, traditional country, jazzy country, bluegrass and rocky country in the set. I real test of my abilities!

I love my tele @Voxman. In my opinion, they're the most versatile guitar out there. I'm in a regularly gigging function band and it covers most stuff pretty well! I particularly like how stripped back they are - so simple. Less to go wrong.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a Nocaster for my 30th birthday... I'll never NEED another guitar. That's the story I'm telling my girlfriend anyway!

I'd love to be able to play like the guy below, Daniel Donato. Went to Nashville (just after Memphis) and he's no longer in the Don Kelly band unfortunately. I'll keep working at it!

Once again! Thanks for the positive reinforcement!
    edited July 2016
    I lost my paragraphs

**EDIT - fixed it!**
    edited July 2016

I love my tele @Voxman. In my opinion, they're the most versatile guitar out there. I'm in a regularly gigging function band and it covers most stuff pretty well! I particularly like how stripped back they are - so simple. Less to go wrong.

I'd love to be able to play like the guy below, Daniel Donato. Went to Nashville (just after Memphis) and he's no longer in the Don Kelly band unfortunately. I'll keep working at it!

Once again! Thanks for the positive reinforcement!
    Yeah, the Tele's a real bread & butter workhorse that's really versatile with a unique sound that nothing else can match.  Re the vid clip of DD - I don't think it's posted right as I can't see it? 
  • How strange... Let's try again!
    edited July 2016
    image New video! Same song as before. I'll get some of the other songs uploaded tomorrow.