Big Wreck - Why aren't these guys the biggest band on the planet?

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
Such a good band, such amazing songs.
I just don't get why they aren't bigger than they are.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I was going to start a new thread on this, but found yours first. Just a stunning band, and the new Ghosts album is awesome.

Control and Wolves from the last album Albatross are simply brilliant. And its rare for me to like new bands.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited July 2014
    I was excited by this thread and didn't mean to wade in negatively but...

Why aren't they big?

My opinion is because; the middle video in particular is middle of the road. The singers voice is fairly generic sounding and lyrically they are forgettable and lacking in some interesting melodies.

Good musicians don't necessarily write decent songs, though there are some decent guitar parts and bass lines. I like the mad guitar work and outro guitar solo to the first video for instance but it doesn't and shouldn't prop up the whole song.

Any other reasons? Yeah rightly or wrongly they are not young and don't have a marketable image.

And the final nail in the coffin - the guitarist is using a double neck in the second video!

Previously known as stevebrum
    Isn't music a weird thing?

I love the melodies that these guys create. I find them instantly memorable and whistleable, (a litmus test for me in some respects). I think the outro solo on Control adds to the song, but doesn't prop it up. The Wolves vocal line on both the verse and chorus I really enjoy.

Not pissing on your parade at all. Just funny how we both react to the same elements of their music completely differently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The girl in the Ghosts video is hot. Just thought I'd confirm my position on that one :-)
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    I thought they sounded like a bland version of the script tbh. Reminded a bit as owell of Minus the Bear, who, I think should be huge too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Iamnobody said:
    I was excited by this thread and didn't mean to wade in negatively but...

Why aren't they big?

My opinion is because; the middle video in particular is middle of the road. The singers voice is fairly generic sounding and lyrically they are unforgettable and lacking in some interesting melodies.

Good musicians don't necessarily right decent songs, there are some decent guitar parts and bass lines. I like the mad guitar work and outro guitar solo to the first video for instance but it doesn't and shouldn't prop up the whole song.

Any other reasons? Yeah rightly or wrongly they are not young and don't have a marketable image.

And the final nail in the coffin - the guitarist is using a double neck in the second video!

To me their songcraft is what they are best at.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    It's like Coldplay with guitar solos or something? ZZZZZZZzzzzZZZzzz/10 from me
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eh?
    They are about a million times heavier than Coldplay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    georgenadaintl;295308" said:
    It's like Coldplay with guitar solos or something? ZZZZZZZzzzzZZZzzz/10 from me
    I got through a bit of one of them and thought that. Festival fodder for beardy students.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    I thought more like Elbow with guitar solos but it probably comes to much the same thing...

I only watched the first one, because it bored me enough that I couldn't be bothered with the others. I did watch it all the way to the end but it was a real effort.

Dull song, predictable lyrics, too long, cliched arrangement, too much guitar, the sounds are tired, they also look like musos with too much gear.

While those criticisms can certainly be applied to a lot of successful bands, they generally got successful when they were still young, interesting and at least a little bit 'alternative', and only got dull later. (Maybe even including Coldplay, although I always thought they were dull to begin with.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    hubobulous;295212" said:
    Isn't music a weird thing?

I love the melodies that these guys create. I find them instantly memorable and whistleable, (a litmus test for me in some respects). I think the outro solo on Control adds to the song, but doesn't prop it up. The Wolves vocal line on both the verse and chorus I really enjoy.

Not pissing on your parade at all. Just funny how we both react to the same elements of their music completely differently.
    You aren't pissing in my parade! I've corrected a couple of typos from my earlier post so it should make more sense now.

I'm just completely underwhelmed by them as are a few others.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10342
    ICBM said:
    (Maybe even including Coldplay, although I always thought they were dull to begin with.)
    This

@ICBM,the wisest man on the forum for a reason.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    One thing that goes against them is that the singer was obviously born of a unethical lab experiment designed to see what a child would look like if it's father were Nick Cave and it's mother Neil Young.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 750
    One thing that goes against them is that the singer was obviously born of a unethical lab experiment designed to see what a child would look like if it's father were Nick Cave and it's mother Neil Young.
    I see a bit of Cliff Richards in here as well.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4169
    Doesn't do a lot for me to be honest, a little like Cherry Ghost, but not so memorable
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10469

I like em, Dire Straights more than Coldplay springs to mind, lot of expression in his playing

That Wolves song is superb, what a great hook and verses are good
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

I like em, Dire Straights more than Coldplay springs to mind, lot of expression in his playing

That Wolves song is superb, what a great hook and verses are good
    Also worth checking out Ian Thornley's other project:

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    octatonic said:
    Such a good band, such amazing songs.
    I just don't get why they aren't bigger than they are.
    @Octatonic, hard to judge them on three crappy YT vids but I would like it if the vocalist could actually sing. Even Bono sings some of the time. I will see if I can get one of their cd's in Tower Records soon....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I know this will also attract divided views, mostly along the lines of plagiarism, but I think the first solo in Ghosts is as close as I've heard to SRV aside from that man himself.

Did Thornley have to copy him that closely? Don't care. I think it sounds awesome :-)