Blues Cube users - how you getting on?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    When I tried one the other day I did find it compressed a bit much and Perhaps a bit artificially. Other than that sounded pretty good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    koss59 said:
    I'm still amazed you're struggling with yours for clean headroom. I did the biggest outdoor gig I've ever done 2 weeks ago with it and didn't have any of it in my monitor still!
    I agree that it's not the loudest amp in the world but I've still not had it half way up on a gig yet. Mine certainly doesn't get dirty until way after half way on the dial, where abouts does yours get dirty?
    It starts to break up well before halfway, from memory. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    koss59 said:
    I'm still amazed you're struggling with yours for clean headroom. I did the biggest outdoor gig I've ever done 2 weeks ago with it and didn't have any of it in my monitor still!
    I agree that it's not the loudest amp in the world but I've still not had it half way up on a gig yet. Mine certainly doesn't get dirty until way after half way on the dial, where abouts does yours get dirty?
    It starts to break up well before halfway, from memory. 
    Interesting, mine definitely doesn't with single coils. Might do a bit with humbuckers.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    capo4th said:
    I saw the Coral gigging with two in a small venue about 8 weeks ago sounded great.

I noticed that  at T in the park the other week

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Is the Blues Cube the second coming or something? 
    Played one and it was decent. That's it though - doesn't sound as good as 90% of valve amps to my ears. it has a decent clean, a decent Dirty (although only when both channels are blended IMO) but it's nowt to brag to your mates about having a fumble under its jumper! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    Adamski said:
    Is the Blues Cube the second coming or something? 
    Played one and it was decent. That's it though - doesn't sound as good as 90% of valve amps to my ears. it has a decent clean, a decent Dirty (although only when both channels are blended IMO) but it's nowt to brag to your mates about having a fumble under its jumper! 

It's interesting.

I needed to buy a lightweight amp at shortish notice last year and decided that for the combination of power/lightweight solid state was the way to go.  I narrowed it down to Quilter MicroPro Mach 2, Yamaha THR 100 or Blues Cube, all pretty new models.  I thought the Blues Cube sounded very good on a couple of demos, but the initial online feedback/word of mouth wasn't good.  The Yamaha I didn't like the  sound on demos, and the initial feedback/word or mouth wasn't good.  So I went for the Quilter which sounded good in demos and had generally excellent initial feedback.

The drawback with the Quilter was it had to be imported and was much the more expensive option.

Since then the feedback/word of mouth on the other models has really improved.  I'm very happy with the Quilter and maybe shouldn't complain, but I am left wondering if I'd have been just as happy with the Blues Cube at half the price.

Also wonder why so many people said these were mediocre at first and what's changed now.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I compared a Blues cube to a bandit and it was good. 

Not as good as the bandit... But smaller, lighter, better looking. It had less noise, too, but I genuinely thought the bandit (latest model) had a better clean tone, better loud mild rhythm overdrive (the blues cube won at home volume here), better rock crunch and better metal tones (which the blues cube didn't do). 

The thing the blues cube did have going for it was size and portability, and it was easier to dial in. So it has its place for sure. I really did feel the bandit sounded better though - it has a very powerful eq and some switches and buttons to affect the tone so you need to know how to get what you want. 

It's definitely a cool amp though. I just wonder whether the tone capsule bollocks could just be a few switches on the front of the amp... But then you'd probably get something more like a bandit :) 
  • Just got back after using my Blues Cube at an indoor pub gig. I used the clean channel with my pedal board and had it on the 45W setting.

Definitely still works for me in a live band setting. Loads of cut without being hard/harsh. I was very happy with the sound. It suits my style of playing.
    It's not a competition.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Mixed a band with a guy using one a few times lately. Motown gig so nothing too adventurous going on in terms of pedal use etc but the base sound was really good. If I hadn't seen what he was using, I wouldn't have picked it out as being solid state.  He's quite restrained with his stage volume though, the PA was doing the hard work, so can't comment on how well it might crank up in a "backline only" situation.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I love mine (a Stage 60). It works perfectly for me as a gigging amp.