Orange Tiny Terror - fit an Effects Loop

What's Hot
just picked a used one of these as a backup but it sounds so good i would like to gig it. Need an effects loop though.  Has anyone had one fitted? If so his much and who did it.  Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    It can't be done properly because it has a post-PI MV and generates a lot of the overdrive from the PI, so you can't put the loop where it needs to be to work correctly.

The Dark Terror - which has a loop - has a completely different circuit with two more valves, a normal post-preamp MV, then the loop after that, then the PI.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It can't be done properly because it has a post-PI MV and generates a lot of the overdrive from the PI, so you can't put the loop where it needs to be to work correctly.

The Dark Terror - which has a loop - has a completely different circuit with two more valves, a normal post-preamp MV, then the loop after that, then the PI.
    Thanks - worth the ask though.  
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Freyette Powerstation will add a loop and beef up or attenuate down the power as needed
    or spend the same money and get an amp with a loop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I can't for the very life of me understand why orange made that amp without a loop and it's the very reason I don't own one.
    It's the way the amp is designed. To use that kind of MV and overdrive arrangement - which sounds more like power stage overdrive - precludes a loop... at least to make it worthwhile.

The Dark Terror does have a loop but it's a more conventional preamp-distortion amp. It also needs two extra valves so it costs more to make.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Same as the Mesa Transatlantic 15. It's not a design flaw as ICBM points out.  It can be done though, but probably wouldn't sound ideal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMRspares-Orange-Tiny-Terror-Effects-Loop-Mod-Kit-/262435044203?hash=item3d1a58fb6b:g:Lc4AAOSw3mpXNe46
    You can certainly do that, but the loop will be before the bulk of the distortion so it won't fix the problem, if the problem is delay/reverb etc being distorted...
    anyone who buys that kit and drills holes in their amp to fit it is going to be a bit pissed off.

There's only any point in a loop if it does put the effects after the distortion - there are even amps with factory-fitted loops which get this wrong, and not just those with PPIMVs, like Matchless - the Soldano SLO is a good example.

As Cabicular said, the best way to deal with it on something like the TT is a wet/dry set-up or a load/re-amp system. Not the cheapest or most convenient solution though.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    ICBM said:
    It's the way the amp is designed. To use that kind of MV and overdrive arrangement - which sounds more like power stage overdrive - precludes a loop... at least to make it worthwhile.

The Dark Terror does have a loop but it's a more conventional preamp-distortion amp. It also needs two extra valves so it costs more to make.
    And also why the Dark Terror sounds like pants in comparison (sorry if that's a bit harsh, but it really disappointed me after the TIny Terror)
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1686
    mine has one, I bought it from @benmurray85 .. not sure how it was implemented but it hijacked one of the speaker outputs in the process it seems..  When I use the loop I run the amp clean using dirt pedals up front and it works for me...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

peteri said:

And also why the Dark Terror sounds like pants in comparison (sorry if that's a bit harsh, but it really disappointed me after the TIny Terror)
    It's just a very different amp really - for different players and sounds.

mine has one, I bought it from @benmurray85 .. not sure how it was implemented but it hijacked one of the speaker outputs in the process it seems..  When I use the loop I run the amp clean using dirt pedals up front and it works for me...
    How different does it sound from putting the effects after the dirt pedals in front of the amp? Just curious really - there may be *some* difference, since the level will be higher and there may be a bit of difference in the frequency content. It's not really why most people would want a loop, though.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you are running an amp clean there really is no difference whether you use a loop or just put your delay and stuff after the dirt pedals.  Using a loop just means you have 2 extra leads to set-up
    John_A said:
    If you are running an amp clean there really is no difference whether you use a loop or just put your delay and stuff after the dirt pedals.  Using a loop just means you have 2 extra leads to set-up
    that may be so but using the loop means I have the flexibility to use the amp's drive and eq if needs.. I also but an EQ pedal in the loop to optionally adapt to said changes.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

How different does it sound from putting the effects after the dirt pedals in front of the amp? Just curious really - there may be *some* difference, since the level will be higher and there may be a bit of difference in the frequency content. It's not really why most people would want a loop, though.
    never tried it because of reasons above..  its not a pure clean pedal platform as you know...
    My trading feedback

bloodandtears said:

never tried it because of reasons above..  its not a pure clean pedal platform as you know…
    Not at all :). I was just curious really, as to how much difference it makes when the amp isn't "distorting" - although I would agree that it always is, a bit. It's hard to get a pristine clean sound out of them at all... that's not what they're for.

Interestingly the Hard Wired version does seem cleaner, once of the reasons I much preferred it - and as you know I am not anti-PCB at all.

I guess I never really considered the all the pedals up front method as the done thing... but then I am new to the pedal and amps things...  I certainly don't own or want an amp that would just be a clean pedal platform though.. I like to consider an amps own drive and gain stack as a feature
    My trading feedback