Anyone here ever use a Blackstar Artisan 15w Head in bedroom ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited July 2016

On the "Big amp sound from a low wattage amp" debacle? Some 11 years ago (so the story goes AFAIK!) someone at Blackstar said, "If someone could make a low power amp that sounded like a big, rip snorting stack they would sell like breadcumcut!" And so, (as far as I understand things, I was a very new boy) the HT-5 was born (the test rig had a small MAINS traff for output iirc)

Now, of course the Five is not a quiet "bedroom" amp but I think the idea was really to make something that sounded good (and that of course is very subjective) but was easy to lug and had "big amp" features like FX loop but was a fraction of the price. Fundamental to that big amp sound was a push pull, fixed biased output  stage. The HT-1 is cathode biased but is not really of the same "family" as the HT-5. I understand FB was tried for the One but it was found that cathode bias sounded best.

Despite the unfortunate advertising at the time of its launch I think they still can't make 'em fast enough?

Just wanted to say, I have spent a morning in the vicinity of a 200W valve amp into 2x 4x12 V30. It is an unnerving experience even with deffs on!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    The odd thing is that all logic would say I would prefer the HT-5 to the HT-1. But I don't - it's the other way round, by a wide margin. Even odder was that (admittedly fairly badly recorded) multi-amp test where they played several amps including the HT-1 and the HT-20 in a band context… and the HT-1, won!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I rarely get to turn my HT-5210 up loud enough to sound good to my ears, it always sounds choked.

I occasionally think about moving it on and getting a de met modeller, the everyone goes out and I get to turn it up.....

Don't think it will be going anywhere in a hurry :)

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I prefer the HT5 to the 1. I have a 100w Artisan that I use at home through a 2x12. It's fine as long as you tread carefully. I've always enjoyed the sensation if playing big amps quietly.
    Pedals do help though obviously.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Have to say I see no downsides to the ID series. Affordable, take pedals well, sound good at any volume, more than loud enough for gigs, the list goes on. I'm a total fanboy for these. 
  • Damn it I was hoping this thread would make up my mind. I'm in the midst of buying a small valve amp exclusively for home use and I'm changing my mind on a daily basis. the top contenders are...

egnater tweaker 15
    fender Blues jr
    blackstar artist 15
    blackstar ht5r

I've even considered hotrod deluxes and modding it. So far the egnater seemes to be the best choice but there are very few I the 2nd had market. Any thoughts on the above list? I already have a thr10
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Try a peavey classic 20 mini head, I did yesterday and it was very very good, I'm doing a bit of background reading to see if any niggles have been highlighted that I should be wary of.
  • Yeah the peavey looks nice, not sure what it sounded like but I think I got spoiled by seeing a peavey classic combo go for stupidly low money on eBay the other week and I doubt I'll see anything as low as that again. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Beats me why anyone would need anything bigger than 5watt purely for home use. 
    It doesn't sound like much but even that can be hellishly loud.
    Even my little ZVex Nano can get really loud and that's only 1/2 watt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Sassafras said:
    Beats me why anyone would need anything bigger than 5watt purely for home use. 
    It doesn't sound like much but even that can be hellishly loud.
    Even my little ZVex Nano can get really loud and that's only 1/2 watt.
    Tone.

In volume terms 100mW - about what the Nano can do clean - is probably enough through a decent cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Has anybody tried the ID Core 40 head? 
    I assume there's no TVP button because it's "always on"? How does it compare to the ID60?

I wouldn't get a valve backup for home unless I knew it could sound ok at home volumes. That's why I'm probably going for an ID60 head as backup - multi-channel, in-built FX, solid build, sounds good at home or gig levels.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    I've just picked up a Fender Super champ Xd which I run through a 1x12 tone tubby speaker cab..Bloody love it..great for home use