Rack Multi FX

What's Hot
FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
What's good on a budget? I'm looking for modulation, delay and reverb.
Last time I was using rack gear was the early 90's and I had an Alesis Midiverb 2 which was fairly good in the fact that it didn't colour the sound.
There seems to be loads of bargains on ebay but I'm not sure what's good nowadays. I quite like the look of the TC Electronic G Major, seems fairly straight forward and comprehensive.
I'll be using it in the loop of a Laney IRT Studio and just home and studio use.
Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    edited July 2016
    Digitech GSP1101 if you want to use it in 4CM.

Otherwise...TC G-Major (v1 or v2).

Actually...personally, I'd rather have the Digitech regardless. The effects quality is easily the equal of the TC. It's more complex to set up, but all the extra stuff you get (4CM, drives, impulses, modelling etc) are definitely worth the price of admission. Having had both G-Majors, an Eleven Rack and any numbers of pedalboards, the Digitech's the one that stuck with me because it does everything I need it to and more, and the quality is equal to or greater than all of the above.
    <space for hire>
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    edited July 2016
    I have an ART Multiverb LTX you could have for £25 plus postage or a Digitech Studio 5000 for £75 plus postage
    Oh, by the way - the GSP1101 is usually found around the £150 mark second hand.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    Marshall JFX-1?
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'd sort of discounted the GSP1101 as it looked like more than I need but I'll add it to my list to watch out for.
    Also I remeber the sound of Digitech rack stuff in the 80's and 90's and I hated it. I will assume it's got a bit better :)

@sweepy thanks, but not for me. I need to be strong because otherwise I can see myself having to get a 12U rack as there's so many old rack units out there, going for buttons. I nearly bought an Alesis EQ the other day just because it was £25!
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Marshall JFX-1?
    I was under the impression that I can get a lot more bang for buck with a more modern unit?
    If I still had a JMP-1 (and long hair) it would probably be on my list though :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    I had the 12u rack with all the 80's kit ;) great fun
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Rocktron Xpression, great modulations, delays and reverb. Easy to use, presets, midi. Yours for £110 ppg delivered
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    So many
    I have a Lexicon MPX G2 and R1 Controller for sale- one of the best units ever- 2300 new, yours for 160 posted.

Other things- Line6 Pro range (I have the Mod Pro for sale)

TC G Maj 2.

Roland GP8.
    Rocktron as mentioned.

King is of course the Eventide Eclipse.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Marshall JFX-1?
    Only works well in an FX Loop.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited July 2016
    Digitech Studio Quad for around £30. Seriously versatile, great sounding unit and for that price, quite stupid :-) - I'm not selling by the way, just pointing out something worth investigating!
    Gassage said:
    So many
    I have a Lexicon MPX G2 and R1 Controller for sale- one of the best units ever- 2300 new, yours for 160 posted.
    Oh, man...I'd have had that off you in the blink of an eye if it wasn't for the fact that it's too deep for my rack and I don't have the space for a heat vent :(
    <space for hire>
    It's immensely good. The MPX1 voiced for guitar only. Some of the Mods and Delays are mind blowing on it.

There's a Roland SDE 3000 on evil bay for 329- very tempted

I don't know, you come in here asking a simple question and suddenly everybody wants to sell you something. I feel a little bit like a tourist in the Grand Bazaar :)
    Seriously though it's appreciated, even if it's actually making decisions harder.

@Gassage
    I'm just having a quick look through the MPX G2 manual. Jesus! I'm at page 41 and wondering if I'd have time to play guitar as well as program this thing. "Fully featured" is a phrase that springs to mind. On the flip side "intuitive" and "plug and play" aren't :) Very interested though, will let you know shortly, (only 130 pages left to read..).