NAD and NCD

GadgetGadget Frets: 895
A Cornford RK100 head and RK 4x12 cab. Been looking for one for ages :)

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Fat trannies. Enjoy y amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    Amazing amp, really miss my mk50 mkII
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The best amp I've ever owned. Congrats on finding one, they're the very top of the amp tree.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to cranking this up!
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    And you've now completed the Cornford amp set! 

Which is your favourite of the four? 
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    That's not Chris Bailey's old one is it?
    CHrisP86 said:
    And you've now completed the Cornford amp set! 

Which is your favourite of the four? 
    Head-wise, yes (excepting the Roadhouse).

I've also had all of the combos (except the RH30) at various times.

I haven't had chance to give the RK100 a proper assesment yet, but up to now, my 'doomsday-you-can-only-keep-one-amp' choice has been the Hellcat. Only by a whisker though, as they do all sound different / have features.

The 4 x EL84 Hellcat is a really versatile amp, covering vintage to heavy metal, with superb leads, but if you wanted to be hyper-critical, lacking a little in the mid-range rhythm grind...

... which is where the 2 x 6L6 MK50H comes in. It sits perfectly in the middle of the Hellcat's range. The MK50H II likewise, with the addition of a great separate clean channel and more footswitching / loop options.

The 4 x EL34 RK100 is hopefully going to fill the 'hotrod Marshall' space, with that familiar Cornford twist of magic.
    Tuscan777 said:
    Indeed it is.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Gadget said:
    Tuscan777 said:
    Indeed it is.
    Nice! Saw he was selling it along with his Hellcat. There aren't many of those left in that condition. Top score!
    Yes, it's in really good nick for ~10 years old.

The Hellcat combo looks nice too, but a) they're BIG and b) I don't have any more cash at the mo :(

There seems to be fewer and fewer Cornfords coming to market generally.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    Wow, what a beast of a rig.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    I need to get a hellcat then.

I always feel my MK never quite nails the heavier sounds.  Although never tried an overdrive pedal with it.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on the RK100 against the brown eye.
    Hmm, when was it revalved?

I would say I get 'heavier' tones from my MKs than the Hellcat (although of course that depends on our individual interpretation of 'heavy'). I mean that the MKs will do beefier, deeper, more low-end heavy grunt and grind. The Hellcat does more compressed, saturated, sweet and shreddy heavy.... if you understand what I mean LOL

An RK vs BE head-to-head is definitely required, as they should be at least in similar territory. Will let you know how that one works out, but I think it may have to wait some weeks until the kids are back at school! This wasn't the best timing for buying a 100 Watt amp! =)
    Not sure there is a bad time to buy something like an RK100 though!

I put a new set of JJ 6L6GC's in a couple of months ago.

The pre's haven't been changed since I've owned the amp (3 and half years).  Maybe I should change those.

What do you use in your MK's?
    Sovteks mostly for power valves.

A mixture for preamp valves - JJs, Mesa, Phillips, Brimar, Mullard.

I haven't changed any in a while though, so I don't know what the current 'best' choice is.

The RK100 has JJ power valves in at the mo.
    Thanks. 

I I think I might be a set of the sovtek 5881's to try as I'm sure I read that was what they were shipped with originally.
  • How ya getting on with the RK @gadget? I finally got my one :) Love it but haven't had a chance to give her the beans yet... wife and kids away for a few days soon so . . . :)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    @Aidanspaghetti

TBH I haven't had chance to play mine much. I did a revalve and rebias, but a) haven't been able to really let rip at volume  and b) at the volumes I did play at, was a little underwhelmed

I am minded to try new preamp tubes and maybe a different brand of power tubes (and experiment with hotter and colder bias points), but until I get chance to give 'a)' a proper go, I'm holding off.
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
    edited November 2017
    Just to chime in @Gadget , brought mine to a practice the other week and finally got to cane it. Great great amp! Using. Les Paul and the volumes it was well usable and sounded incredible. Will probably go down the old box route, I think you've been through a few of them, have you? Any suggestions? I managed to hear a Two Notes reload in a studio setup and was well impressed......

How's the RK now that the honeymoon period is over?!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    @Aidanspaghetti

Alas I've had very little play time on it still. i've got too many amps and cabs at the mo and I can't even get to it without moving loads of stuff! LOL

I presume you meant 'load box' rather than 'old box'?

If so, I've used the Palmer PGA-04 (which I have up for sale at the mo) and is great for the 'SM57 on a 4x12' sound. Latterly I bought the Torpedo Live, which is very versatile. The sound seems great to me and lots of artists seem to use them. The only downside is having to pay more if you want to try extra cabs.

I also had a couple of isocabs, but couldn't a) get them quiet enough and b) escape their boxy sound.

The only attenuators I've used were some old Marshall Powerbrakes, but I didn't like the sound (probably not the Marshalls per se, but atts in general).