What songs do you use to test HiFi speakers/amps/headphones?

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I always use my favourite albums. There's no point me getting a system that does an amazing job of some "audiophile" jazz albums I would never normally listen to if Maiden's Seventh Son sounds crap with the gear.
    The thing is @Grumpyrocker your well setup hi-fi system will make Maiden sound great. As it will Tracy Chapman and all the other audiophile favorites. The key words are ‘well setup’, just like a guitar in fact. And you don’t have to be an audiophile to own a great hi-fi system either. If you find that you are listening for the audiophile things like separation, midrange, bass extension etc, there is something wrong with your system. If that is the case, it is time to talk to your local hi-fi dealer and get the problem resolved. When you listen to music through your system, you should only be aware of and hear the music. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    To test speakers , how about something by John Bercow ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    You should definitely add Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes to your list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I always use my favourite albums. There's no point me getting a system that does an amazing job of some "audiophile" jazz albums I would never normally listen to if Maiden's Seventh Son sounds crap with the gear.
    This is very true. 

However, as others have already pointed out, a good system will sound good with (nearly) all types of music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    This is very true. 

However, as others have already pointed out, a good system will sound good with (nearly) all types of music. 

Yes. But finding out how good is likely to be easier with music you know well- if you're already accustomed to how you think a particular piece sounds you're more likely to hear the difference between the system you currently play it on and the one you're thinking of buying.

I still remember the revelation of being able to hear the squeaky bass drum pedals on some of my favourite 70s rock albums on a really decent hi-fi setup, or the spit on Louis Armstrong's lips on La Vie en Rose.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Spotify has a "Songs To Test Headphones With" playlist, although probably not the best thing to test headphones with streaming audio.  Still, you could listen to them on CD.

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWZtZ8vUCzche

and this one too:

https://open.spotify.com/user/namtrac/playlist/7dCk3HbuF49FZrFJRdYzIp
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
    Not individual songs but albums which I think have amazing (audiophile quality?) production. 

Dire Straits - Self Titled
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
    NIN - The Fragile 
    Metallica - Black Album
    U2 - Joshua Tree
    Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Biosphere - Substrata
    Brian Eno - On Land
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM and WYWH
    Eno & Fripp - No Pussyfooting
    Hendrix - Electric Lady Land
    Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues
    Sabbath - Self Titled
    Devin Townsend - Ocean machine
    Bowie - Station To Station
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4781
    I'd agree with using music you know and love when trying out new hifi. You need the new stuff to sound better (in your opinion) or what's the point of the upgrade? 

After upgrading, I have found that some music sounds worse as the new system exposes things in it that I don't like., but that's life, I guess. 

Back to an old comment from @ICBM . "Together Alone"... The intro of Kare Kare (esp. that backward raked chord before the vocals start) gets me every time. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352

Back to an old comment from @ICBM . "Together Alone"... The intro of Kare Kare (esp. that backward raked chord before the vocals start) gets me every time. 
    Yes, the first time I heard this I was absolutely stunned by the sound quality on it.

Unfortunately mp3/Youtube doesn't do it justice, it has to be CD to really hear it properly - if you can't tell the difference on this, you really do need a better system...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Al Stewart Year of the Cat
    John Martyn One World
    Two classics, but beautifully recorded, mixed and mastered
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    For me, there's quite a lot of my favourites already listed. 

One that is a really eye opener, is Frank Sinatra's "Only the Lonely", which is a beautiful album (really wonderful songs and arrangements) but which also just sounds amazing.

The woodwind and bass, the horn solo with the discordant strings and almost 'Bond' like arrangement in the middle:

But then there's:

The Stravinsky reference at the start of this, and then the sounds of the strings, which go quite deep, and his voice, distant brass, etc.

Or, I also like to use well recorded RnB or neo-soul.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Any early 80s Grace Jones with Sly and Robbie in the rhythm section. Crystal clear, great production.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062

This. When I bought my first pair of good headphones I played this and was blown away by the audio quality and stereo separation. It's been my go to ever since.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I had an interesting experience once when I visited the home of someone who designs galactically expensive hi-fi systems (of the sort that cost six figures) and listened to a whole bunch of stuff on his own super-duper prototype system. He demoed it by playing things like early Cliff Richard singles that were recorded to mono on a couple of mics, and they sounded incredible -- like being in the room with the band. But anything modern that was recorded with a ton of mics sounded like a complete mess.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited July 2018
    Stuckfast said:
    Cliff Richard singles..........
    Cliff Richard huh?.......sounds expensive.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Stuckfast said:
    I had an interesting experience once when I visited the home of someone who designs galactically expensive hi-fi systems (of the sort that cost six figures) and listened to a whole bunch of stuff on his own super-duper prototype system. He demoed it by playing things like early Cliff Richard singles that were recorded to mono on a couple of mics, and they sounded incredible -- like being in the room with the band. But anything modern that was recorded with a ton of mics sounded like a complete mess.
    Hmmmm, that’s interesting.  What modern stuff did you Iisten to?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited July 2018
    @Matt_McG if you like Sinatra then check out Summer Wind, what a sound!
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I can kind of see that. A lot of really fantastic sounding albums: Kind of Blue springs to mind, were recorded with just a few mics and a bunch of guys in a room.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    sweepy said:
    John Martyn One World

Good call - a great sounding record. The follow-up (Grace and Danger) is very good too - along with most his ‘70s albums from Solid Air onwards.